Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Can someone please clarify GPU temperature/load relation please? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/55310-can-someone-please-clarify-gpu-temperature-load-relation-please.html)

Kara July 6, 2012 08:50 PM

Can someone please clarify GPU temperature/load relation please?

Hello canucks,

Info:
CPU = Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8GHz
GPU = HD Radeon 5870 1GB VRAM

To keep it short, I was running games at 1600x900 and GPU usage was around 60-70% with temperatures ~60-70 C.

Got a new monitor today, I'm running the same games at 1920x1080 and GPU usage is around 99% with temperatures ~50-60 C.

Can someone explain to me how increasing the resolution and the GPU having higher load somehow makes it run cooler?

PS: I'm using MSI afterburner to read usage/temps.

sswilson July 6, 2012 08:53 PM

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless ambient temps are around 10c cooler than they were yesterday. :)

I can see the temps staying the same as most games don't max out the GFX card so you're temps is being kept to a certain range by the fan profile.

tangrisser July 6, 2012 10:33 PM

Two things that I can think of:

1. The MSI Afterburner is giving out incorrect reading
2. It might be the GPU usage/temperature wasn't high enough to kick up the fan to the higher RPM

Those are my speculation

Adzsask July 6, 2012 11:06 PM

My guess is the card finally got hot enough for the auto fan speed to kick up the speeds.

LarkStarr July 7, 2012 12:07 AM

Or the card is being saturated in such a way that it's not heating up as much. Which is a strange circumstance, but if the memory buffer is topped out, usage generally maxes out as well, but it's not actually 'processing' as fast, because it can't or it doesn't have to anymore (distance textures)

Kara July 7, 2012 05:27 AM

Hmm very bizarre indeed. Is the anyway I could ensure GPU temp. readout from MSI afterburner is accurate?

I also forgot to mention I made a switch from fullscreen to windowed mode!

mkultra July 7, 2012 06:20 AM

gpu can withstand much higher temps and manufacturer let them heat up to reduce the noise, without the fan speed and ambient temp into the equation it's hard to say

either way i wouldn't worry about it

enaberif July 7, 2012 06:22 AM

Setup up custom fan profiles and see what happens.

Dzzope July 7, 2012 11:48 AM

Window'd mode generally puts MORE strain on your GPU as it has to render both the game and your desktop etc.

Galcobar July 7, 2012 12:26 PM

True, but there's not a lot of activity on a desktop -- so while there are more pixels to render and thus more memory used, the speed required would likely not go up. And as LarkStarr suggests, if the memory becomes the limiting factor the processor will slow down. The switch to a higher resolution monitor and to desktop usage could well have saturated the memory and left the processor waiting.