Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2008, 05:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default EVGA 8800GT 512MB SC AKIMBO *Review found*

Hi guys relatively new the forums I just want to say its nice to be here I don't post much but follow the reviews very closely on a weekly basis. I found you through Direct Canada where I buy most if not all my computer hardware.

The reason I started this thread is because I just recently purchased an EVGA 8800GT SC 512MB AKIMBO edition and I would like to know if Hardware Canucks might consider reviewing it. I know that we have seen countless reviews of the same card in different versions but this particular card has not gotten as much attention as I think it deserves. EVGA's biggest mistake was not releasing this card with its revised cooler and clock speeds in the beginning and probably the most difficult and frustrating thing is trying to find a review about the card and the many things that have changed.

I'd offer up my card to Hardware Canucks just to see a proper review of this and not just the copy and pasted artistics I have seen on other websites and forums with no real in depth benchmarks or personal reviews.

Thanks,

Eagle Eye

Last edited by Eagle Eye; April 14, 2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: title
Old April 10, 2008, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Welcome
sounds like a good idea--sometimes revisions can slip under the radar--have you thought about posting a mini-review with some pics, bench scores, and overclocking?

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old April 10, 2008, 07:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have but I don't have the most mainstream hardware, however performance is still very good on my computer I am still stuck in the AMD phase with my nforce 590 board. I thought it be best reviewed on an Intel Core 2 Duo or quad core system only because that seems to be the mainstream setup for today and any of the benchmarks would reflect on the performance one would get if they had a very similiar configuration. I can still go ahead and do a mini review based on an AMD 590 AM2 system marginally overclocked of course if anyone would be interested.
Old April 10, 2008, 07:02 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Let's tackle this one point at a time. :)

First of all it seems like EVGA has decided to largely ignore us for the time being so you won't be seeing a review of this product here anytime soon. I would love to take your card to review it but unfortunately the current review timetable has been so busy I just don't know where I would fit it into the schedule.

My suggestion to you would be to do a mini-review yourself and post it in our member reviews.

Thanks for the offer though!!
Old April 10, 2008, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
I have but I don't have the most mainstream hardware,
Dont worry about that! AMD systems are good enough gamer rigs on recent titles....the review will help to focus attention on features of the card that might attract users...Id focus on gaming benchmarks...be intersting to see how an AMD rig handles the card. My opteron used to run crysis/bioshock/coh very well on a GTX.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old April 10, 2008, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks guys, I will take the time over the next few days to prepare the review and post it on the website and thanks very much for the responses guys.
Sky I am sorry to hear that EVGA ignores you guys I really think they should reconsider when there is such a market for their products here and offer at least a chance to get a review from a Canadian website for Canadian buyers. My last 3 video cards have been EVGA less the Palit Geforce 8800GT I purchased because the AKIMBO cooler had not been introduced and they were the only ones with an alternative cooling solution at the time. Infact I bought an 8800GT from FutureCrap here in Toronto when it was first introduced, but I returned it because it was to expensive and bought a much cheaper one from Direct Canada.
Old April 10, 2008, 09:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great...I thought I might take some pictures but I guess my girlfriends camera just decided to crap out its appears the lens won't open anymore and takes nothing but black pictures. I am going to see if I what I can't find on furture craps site for a cheap digicam and get some nice pictures posted for the review.
Old April 10, 2008, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Great...I thought I might take some pictures but I guess my girlfriends camera just decided to crap out its appears the lens won't open anymore and takes nothing but black pictures. I am going to see if I what I can't find on furture craps site for a cheap digicam and get some nice pictures posted for the review.
Where abouts are you located Eagle? Might be someone will to loan you a cam for a couple of hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old April 13, 2008, 09:23 AM
Top Prospect

Default Great to see saomeelse notice this card!!

I have been looking at this card, Thinking it would be a great upgrade from my Current 8800GTS SC 320MB. But I couldn't find a review of it anywhere. I am dying to see how well it Overclocks above it's out of the box 720Mhz Core
How high have you got your clock on that Badboy?
I am very curious to read your review of that card.
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old April 13, 2008, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is probably the best and most stables clocks that I have been able obtain given the fact the card is practically near its max overclock only with voltmods and watercooling would you be able to obtain higher clock rates. Nonetheless it would give any GTS a run for its money and it stays pretty cool with AKMIBO cooler you won't see any temps in the 108oC range anymore thats for sure.
Attached Images