Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2008, 11:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

While I don't have that exact card, I do have a base 8800 GT with the akimbo cooler that I got separately. So that combined with the new BIOS for the card that is provided by eVGA, I get to sit at a "stock" of 700 core, 1728 shader and 950 memory. And now with my little OC I am sitting currently at 721/1779/1026. I also have a bunch (way too many) of pictures showing the process of installing the cooler as well as the finished product. If people want me to post them I can.
Old April 14, 2008, 05:46 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Please post them. I personally would love to see what this cooler looks like "in person".
Old April 14, 2008, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you have them post them If I had working camera I'd do the same.

Well I couldn't wait and I order another from DC so I will have 2 for an SLI config I will post my results of my benchmarks when I start doing some testing for now I am little preoccupied finding a job and need a new camera to post photos.

Last edited by Eagle Eye; April 14, 2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old April 14, 2008, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I sure would like to get an SLI going with these as well but I have to be content with what I have, at least until I sell my old card.

As for the pictures I will put them up later tonight after I get home.
Old April 14, 2008, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I finally found a review of this here's a quote from their opinion but you can check out the full review from link below

EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT Akimbo SC Review

Quote:
Let’s start by explaining that Editor’s Choice award. They’re fairly rare around here, after all.

Although there’s a lot of graphics hardware to choose from in the 8800 GT’s price range, the model is deserving of some recognition. To begin, no single-chip card from AMD comes close, and the dual-GPU 3870 X2 is significantly more expensive. Two different leagues, to be sure. A step down from NVIDIA takes you to the entry-level 8800 GS. Fewer stream processors, a narrow memory bus, and a resounding “meh.” Take a step up and you’re looking at the GTS which is going to cost a fair bit more than a GT.

So, despite the convoluted mass of “mainstream” graphics (we put that word in quotes because $289 is well beyond the traditional mainstream), the 8800 GT is fairly distinguished. EVGA further sets the model apart by arming it with superior cooling, aggressive standard clocks, and a simple enough bundle that keeps cost down while still addressing the basics. You get two DVI adapters, a component output, an S-video output, and a power adapter. The usual. As a result, the 8800 GT Akimbo does inch its way into GTS territory, but this isn’t exactly a case of owning the most expensive house in a rundown neighborhood. EVGA’s e-GeForce 8800 GT Akimbo is a solid buy.
Enjoy EE
Old April 14, 2008, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As I was hoping to run a SLI configuration with 2 8800GT AKIMBO it appears it will not work I just recently took my computer apart to see how well the card would fit and what I have to move around to make the installation as seamless as possible. The roadblock that I have run into is the video card covers the first 2 SATA controllers on mainboard namely SATA1 and SATA 2. Now that I can't use the 2 controllers I thought it would be a simple switch to channels 3-4 for my harddrives, well windowsXP doesn't seem to like it and no matter what I have tried so far XP bluescreens every single time and reboots. I will keep trying to get a configuration that works and honestly the dated layout of the 590SLI boards doesn't help users with the newer cards being longer, where's the 790a and 750a when you need it.

EE
Old April 14, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the link to the review, nice to finally see one.

I have been looking at the possibility of the SLI setup as well and am also not totally sure if I could fit two of these in there. Well at least not without some major re-routing of cables.

I have posted the pictures that I took here.
Old April 14, 2008, 10:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
As I was hoping to run a SLI configuration with 2 8800GT AKIMBO it appears it will not work I just recently took my computer apart to see how well the card would fit and what I have to move around to make the installation as seamless as possible. The roadblock that I have run into is the video card covers the first 2 SATA controllers on mainboard namely SATA1 and SATA 2. Now that I can't use the 2 controllers I thought it would be a simple switch to channels 3-4 for my harddrives, well windowsXP doesn't seem to like it and no matter what I have tried so far XP bluescreens every single time and reboots. I will keep trying to get a configuration that works and honestly the dated layout of the 590SLI boards doesn't help users with the newer cards being longer, where's the 790a and 750a when you need it.

EE
Are you running a raid setup?

If not, it seems strange that it won't boot off of those sata ports, something turned off in bios maybe?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 15, 2008, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll admit the second card sure makes for a tight squeeze, wires are all over I have them behind and inside cages I hide them as much as I can but a cable management system was not apart of the NSK6850 features when I bought it.

I am running a raid setup with my 2 drives and I am thinking thats what the problems is, I enabled sata ports 3-4 in the bios but everytime it gets past the XP Loading screen it bluescreens and reboots. I am assuming it does work due to the fact that I get past the xp loading screen and then the driver configuration causes a fatal exception. I am going uninstall my drivers and hopefully that will prevent the fatal exception from happening because clearly there is a conflict somewhere.

I will let you know how it goes.

Update: Well to no avail I tried ports 3-4 and 5-6 and it blue screens everytime I even tried booting into safe mode and I get the same result and to top it off my card is already on its way here, I should have it sometime this afternoon and I won't be able to use it at all in SLI. I did get an interesting error from Windows stating that my anti-virus software caused some problem I wonder if there is any indication that norton might be interfering with the startup sequence as windows begins to load. To be honest I believe that this on a much lower level then that simply put I would have to re-install windows on ports 3-4 to start with, but even so I have no idea if that would solve the problem outright and I am not about to do that as I have far to much stuff downloaded and installed to consider it.

No sli for me,

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; April 15, 2008 at 06:59 AM.
Old April 15, 2008, 08:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So if I'm reading the little bit of comparison I can find between this card @ 720 and an 8800 GTS (512) the GTS will outperform it?

I'm looking at making a vid card purchase this coming week and since both are two slot solutions I'm thinking that a GTS @ about $30 more would be the better choice for somebody who's not going to be purchasing a new vid card for a couple of years.......

Thoughts on that thinking?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP