Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2012, 01:19 PM
Rookie

I think AMD should have come up with something to compete against the GTX 670 instead.
Old June 23, 2012, 04:13 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

They have something actually. The HD 7970. It's currently retailing for $419 after rebates....
Old June 23, 2012, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting indeed... it looks like AMD has squeaked a tiny bit more juice out of their drivers than nVidia since the release of the 680, which also helps...

The largest problem with this card is it mostly shines in surround (although the extreme 2560x settings were also impressive) and I would assume the better memory helps that, which is not mandatory for the marketing of the card. I would hate to write the conclusion for these battles as there really is no conclusion. I think price and brand preference will end up being a big factor then noise/power draw.

I'm very skeptical of this card just because there is no requirement to have the high grade memory to get the moniker. If the card retails for less $$ than the stock 680, then I think AMD scores a point on this small skirmish (provided we only look at performance/price and ignore power/heat).
Old June 24, 2012, 12:25 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Interesting indeed... it looks like AMD has squeaked a tiny bit more juice out of their drivers than nVidia since the release of the 680, which also helps...

The largest problem with this card is it mostly shines in surround (although the extreme 2560x settings were also impressive) and I would assume the better memory helps that, which is not mandatory for the marketing of the card. I would hate to write the conclusion for these battles as there really is no conclusion. I think price and brand preference will end up being a big factor then noise/power draw.

I'm very skeptical of this card just because there is no requirement to have the high grade memory to get the moniker. If the card retails for less $$ than the stock 680, then I think AMD scores a point on this small skirmish (provided we only look at performance/price and ignore power/heat).
Spot on.
Old June 26, 2012, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

And somehow Nvidia continues to outsell AMD (as far as I know). AMD has improved their drivers, improved their performance, and lowered their prices. The GHZ edition is now a more capable performer than the GTX680 for the same MSRP. I'm not sure what else they have to do to regain market share.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 26, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
And somehow Nvidia continues to outsell AMD (as far as I know). AMD has improved their drivers, improved their performance, and lowered their prices. The GHZ edition is now a more capable performer than the GTX680 for the same MSRP. I'm not sure what else they have to do to regain market share.
Reputation means a lot in the computer industry.
Old June 27, 2012, 12:32 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Reputation means a lot in the computer industry.
Unfortunately reputation is too big of a factor in almost any field. Brand loyalty in PC hardware is silly since it's just a piece of hardware which is doing the job you want/need it to do - It's not a car/house/cellphone etc where you have your personal taste preferences. When NVIDIA is better I'd buy it, when AMD is better I'd buy that, when Intel is better it would be my choice.