Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2012, 10:42 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

We're working with some Wordpress modifications so there may be some minor issues with the review section and front page.

As for the cards, expect a review of the TOP DirectCu II in the coming weeks.

Personally though, I wouldn't exchange two HD 7970 cards right now. If you are buying NEW I would recommend the GTX 670 solution but selling two used HD 7970s won't net you a good ROI.
Old June 13, 2012, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

While your reviewing the TOP card.. would it be possible to make any comparisons to the non TOP version?

I have the DCII but the TOP card wasn't available here.
Just wondering if there is any difference between them apart from the slight OC on the TOP card?
Old June 13, 2012, 11:59 AM

I don't have the non-TOP version.
Old June 13, 2012, 02:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

As always a good review. Few typos or unclear statements I wanted to ask about.

Page 1:
-second paragraph: multi faceted -- multi-faceted
-While Gigabyte may not ... but -- redundant, only need one
-third paragraph: 1125MHz is far above what past GTX 670s have hit -- 1125 is the EVGA SC's max observed speed according to the table, 1210 is Gigabyte OC's
-ninth paragraph: WindForce 3X OC is its use of a reference GTX 680 heatsink -- PCB
-tenth paragraph: Other than the additional PWM stage being installed, there really isn’t much difference between this card and a reference GTX 680. -- do you mean reference GTX 670 PCB, or that this 670 has one more PWM stage than a 680?

Page 19:
-second paragraph: this card working at it’s out-- its
-we achieved a Boost Clock of 1356MHz -- is that the Boost Clock setting, or the maximum observed speed?

Page 20:
-third paragraph: we really can’t find and glaring -- any
Old June 13, 2012, 03:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

let's see. so it's faster than the ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II and it's cheaper.

what the hell is gigabyte thinking.
Old June 13, 2012, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice review. Nice card. Nice price. What more can I want (other than the money to buy one).
Old June 13, 2012, 06:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirerogue View Post
let's see. so it's faster than the ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II and it's cheaper.

what the hell is gigabyte thinking.
Value of card + value of service + value of reputation. If you're low on one, you have to make it up on another. MSi is trying to increase its reputation by improving its service, which in turn will allow it to charge more for an equivalent card, or sell more cards (often increasing volume is the best way to improve profit margins in a competitive environment). EVGA has been able to price its cards higher, and still sell more, because of its warranty and reputation for good customer service.

Smart strategy by Gigabyte, really -- these are the cards which set the tone for word-of-mouth advertising, which is probably the most effective advertising available when targeting the enthusiast community given our penchant for connectedness.
Old June 19, 2012, 03:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

Great review as always SKY! Missed out on a 680 in the BST, went searching and found one of these babies for under $460 shipped. Yay!!! Now if I can only restrain myself from going sli.

While I pride myself on good grammar and spelling, I guess even small blips brings out the Grammar Police! We'll start a Get Out of Spelling Jail fund for you, ok?

Now if only my duct taped fingers can hold out long enough for it to get here. No fingernails is a b#Q$!h. Where's my duct tape!!!

I'll let you know how good it works just as soon as I get it, which obviously can't be soon enough.

Well I finally got it, ran Entry, then Extreme. Performance still wouldn't run. After reading up on things, I finally got it working right after several hours of installing/uninstalling and adding patches.

Here's my results which I suspect wouldn't allow me to post the link b4:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-980X Processor,ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6X58D-E score: P9080 3DMarks

Now I just need my new mobo to arrive so I can get my pc up and running!

This cpu is an ES with a base of 2.4. 1st run was at 3.07. Next run is at 3.6.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-980X Processor,ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6X58D-E score: P9214 3DMarks

Last edited by fishingfanatic; June 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old July 6, 2012, 04:40 PM
MVP

Quick question Sky (or anyone else able to get a decent overclock out of this)...how the hell did you? mine cant handle an offset of more than +46 without driver crashes every 90seconds or less. I tried the full spectrum of power target from 100-112% (highest available), tried adjusting voltages but soon gave up as I realized this wasn't even affecting the operating voltages that are stuck to 0.987 idle and 1.175 load. My max temp under few hours full load ever is 61C @ +46 (anything higher and it crashes in a matter of seconds).

Am I missing something? or did I really get the worst 670 to ever leave the production lines?

Might be interesting to note:
when my card arrived, it appeared to have been already opened (finger prints ALL over, the baggy for the 8pin to molex adapter already opened) even though I bought it off NCIX(well their sister company BestDirect) advertised as brand new, no refurb crap. Did I get trolled by NCIX again? got sold a product that got returned precisely because it was such a terrible overclocker? And I had promissed myself never to buy anything from NCIX after getting trolled so hard by them when I bought my latest system...
Old July 6, 2012, 04:53 PM

Overclocking is never guaranteed.........

Your Power Target should also have max setting of 120%.