Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16, 2012, 06:00 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default NVIDIA Posts Complete Kepler GK110 Technical White Paper

For those of you wondering about what makes NVIDIA’s upcoming GK110 tick, NVIDIA has posed a complete architectural White Paper. There is some seriously interesting contained in there, enough to make us want GK110 to make it over into the GeForce lineup as soon as possible. However, as NVIDIA discusses quite a few times in this White Paper: GK110 is geared towards a compute / HPC environment and NOT gaming. That doesn’t mean it can’t be adapted for gaming like Fermi was though…. ;)

Read more here: NVIDIA Posts Complete Kepler GK110 Technical White Paper | Hardware Canucks

On a side note.....2880 cores and supposedly 255W so well within the PCI-E spec.

Had this thing been released it would have been nearly TWICE as fast as the GTX 680. On....one....chip. Not to mention, it consumes as much as a SINGLE HD 7970.
Old May 16, 2012, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This would make quite the F@H GPU powerhouse from my skim through:
  • Since the GPU can schedule work for itself + on-board synchronization you could theoretically fold on a whole bunch of these attached to the most gimped CPU you can find and it would be fine. (Although have fun finding an Atom processor with a lot PCI-E x16 attached )
  • I wonder if the Hyper-Q model would alleviate some of the GUI lag associated with Folding on a desktop computer...
I can't see the GPUDirect being too useful for individuals. I guess it fits with their proposal for GeForce GRID however as they'd essentially be able to process most of the game including AI on GPUs, maybe even sucking input straight from the network card into the GPU without involving the CPU.

I hope this stuff is made compatible with OpenCL or DirectCompute so we don't end up with the same mess as PhysX
Old May 16, 2012, 07:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Awww come on nVidia, do the port!

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 16, 2012, 09:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow NVIDIA Reveals GK110 Specifications and Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Awww come on nVidia, do the port!

-ST
Well, based on Legit Review's post:
Quote:
And availability? Eager gamers brace yourselves: it looks like it will be 6 to 9 months away, appearing in Q1 2013. Also, it may possibly be branded GeForce GTX 780. The price for this monster card should be interesting, too. ...
Old May 16, 2012, 09:42 PM

LR is milking it a bit methinks.

Looking at the architecture in depth, it can be ported to GeForce but not without significant changes to its pipeline.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Seeing how there is not direct mention of any gaming application in the white paper (which I could have missed, since I did not review it in detail), LR either has a source at GTC 2012 or is simply pulling this info out of... a hidden part of their anatomy.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Had this thing been released it would have been nearly TWICE as fast as the GTX 680. On....one....chip. Not to mention, it consumes as much as a SINGLE HD 7970.
O..M..G... Me want!!!!
Old May 17, 2012, 06:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
LR is milking it a bit methinks.

Looking at the architecture in depth, it can be ported to GeForce but not without significant changes to its pipeline.
And its doubtful that they will never do that so...

Still would be interesting to see a card inbetween a 680 and 690.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 17, 2012, 08:37 AM

Personally, I think we will see strict segmentation between the gaming and HPC cards from here on out. NVIDIA has finally recognized that there isn't a need for ultra high end, lower margin cards in their GeForce lineup and is keeping their high end cores for the Quadro and Tesla classes. We MAY see a GK110 derivative make its way into the gaming space at some point in 2013 but only after NVIDIA has massaged it enough that they can make it profitable enough to sell at under $999.