Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   NVIDIA Posts Complete Kepler GK110 Technical White Paper (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/54315-nvidia-posts-complete-kepler-gk110-technical-white-paper.html)

SKYMTL May 16, 2012 06:00 PM

NVIDIA Posts Complete Kepler GK110 Technical White Paper

For those of you wondering about what makes NVIDIA’s upcoming GK110 tick, NVIDIA has posed a complete architectural White Paper. There is some seriously interesting contained in there, enough to make us want GK110 to make it over into the GeForce lineup as soon as possible. However, as NVIDIA discusses quite a few times in this White Paper: GK110 is geared towards a compute / HPC environment and NOT gaming. That doesn’t mean it can’t be adapted for gaming like Fermi was though…. ;)

Read more here: NVIDIA Posts Complete Kepler GK110 Technical White Paper | Hardware Canucks

On a side note.....2880 cores and supposedly 255W so well within the PCI-E spec. :shok:

Had this thing been released it would have been nearly TWICE as fast as the GTX 680. On....one....chip. Not to mention, it consumes as much as a SINGLE HD 7970.

frontier204 May 16, 2012 07:16 PM

This would make quite the F@H GPU powerhouse from my skim through:
  • Since the GPU can schedule work for itself + on-board synchronization you could theoretically fold on a whole bunch of these attached to the most gimped CPU you can find and it would be fine. (Although have fun finding an Atom processor with a lot PCI-E x16 attached :haha:)
  • I wonder if the Hyper-Q model would alleviate some of the GUI lag associated with Folding on a desktop computer...
I can't see the GPUDirect being too useful for individuals. I guess it fits with their proposal for GeForce GRID however as they'd essentially be able to process most of the game including AI on GPUs, maybe even sucking input straight from the network card into the GPU without involving the CPU.

I hope this stuff is made compatible with OpenCL or DirectCompute so we don't end up with the same mess as PhysX :doh:

Soultribunal May 16, 2012 07:49 PM

Awww come on nVidia, do the port!

-ST

EmptyMellon May 16, 2012 09:19 PM

NVIDIA Reveals GK110 Specifications and Availability

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 630482)
Awww come on nVidia, do the port!

-ST

Well, based on Legit Review's post:
Quote:

And availability? Eager gamers brace yourselves: it looks like it will be 6 to 9 months away, appearing in Q1 2013. Also, it may possibly be branded GeForce GTX 780. The price for this monster card should be interesting, too. ...

SKYMTL May 16, 2012 09:42 PM

LR is milking it a bit methinks.

Looking at the architecture in depth, it can be ported to GeForce but not without significant changes to its pipeline.

EmptyMellon May 16, 2012 11:09 PM

Seeing how there is not direct mention of any gaming application in the white paper (which I could have missed, since I did not review it in detail), LR either has a source at GTC 2012 or is simply pulling this info out of... a hidden part of their anatomy.

GT7R May 16, 2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 630459)
Had this thing been released it would have been nearly TWICE as fast as the GTX 680. On....one....chip. Not to mention, it consumes as much as a SINGLE HD 7970.

O..M..G... Me want!!!! :biggrin:

Soultribunal May 17, 2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 630502)
LR is milking it a bit methinks.

Looking at the architecture in depth, it can be ported to GeForce but not without significant changes to its pipeline.

And its doubtful that they will never do that so...

Still would be interesting to see a card inbetween a 680 and 690.

-ST

SKYMTL May 17, 2012 08:37 AM

Personally, I think we will see strict segmentation between the gaming and HPC cards from here on out. NVIDIA has finally recognized that there isn't a need for ultra high end, lower margin cards in their GeForce lineup and is keeping their high end cores for the Quadro and Tesla classes. We MAY see a GK110 derivative make its way into the gaming space at some point in 2013 but only after NVIDIA has massaged it enough that they can make it profitable enough to sell at under $999.