Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   MSI cards are scaring me to death! Whats your experience with MSI video cards? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/54258-msi-cards-scaring-me-death-whats-your-experience-msi-video-cards.html)

Damnyoutaco May 14, 2012 05:57 PM

MSI cards are scaring me to death! Whats your experience with MSI video cards?

I've purchased three cards from MSI, twin frozer gtx 460, and gtx 670 x2. Both the 460 and 670 were DOA, memory express was nice enough to provide me with another 670 but now I'm questioning the build quality of their products. In fear of appearing too needy, I would like to avoid going back to exchange for another card.( I returned a 460 for 7970 windforce, and shortly after returned it for for my 670 and had to go back again after the DOA). But I'll do what I must if its a common issue for MSI.

Master_Shake_ May 14, 2012 07:27 PM

after the crap that went down with msi's reference gtx 570's i won't even look at them as a viable option for a video card.

i hear their motherboards are great though.

MARSTG May 14, 2012 07:49 PM

I had a GTX 550Ti Cyclone, no issues with it, I also had a GT 240, the version with dual slot cooler and GDDR5, this one was doing the coil whine when folding, other than that no major issues

sswilson May 14, 2012 07:52 PM

My 450 GTS cyclone has been great, but if it weren't for MSI's excellent RMA service here in Canada I'd be pretty pissed about having 4 twin frozr II 560ti heat sink fans failing on me......

BigPhatPaulie May 14, 2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 629656)
My 450 GTS cyclone has been great, but if it weren't for MSI's excellent RMA service here in Canada I'd be pretty pissed about having 4 twin frozr II 560ti heat sink fans failing on me......

Woah 4? common with the card or bad luck?

sswilson May 14, 2012 08:08 PM

I'm thinking bad luck + folding.... I had two cards folding 24/7 in an SLI config w/ the fans pegged to 100%. I suspect the designers never figured on that kind of life cycle.... that said, I ended up RMAing the same 2 cards twice and both times had no complaints at all about the speed of the process.

BigPhatPaulie May 14, 2012 08:10 PM

Yea that very well may do it (sucks they cant hold up though)

sswilson May 14, 2012 08:17 PM

The twin frozr II coolers are kickass when they're working though... a good 10 - 15 deg c better than the twin fan Gigabyte 560ti card I had.

BigPhatPaulie May 14, 2012 08:18 PM

Very true they have remarkable temps (as per the reviews from your site etc). Wonder who thier OEM is for them... cooler master maybe?

belgolas May 14, 2012 08:37 PM

Reading for several manufacting forums there are a lot of defective 670's. Evga is upgrading people to the 670 FTW for people that complain. So it either is a bad batch for a lot of manufacturers or nvidia's build quality is suffering a lot as they try to pump Therese cards out. I am guessing bad batch/production run/what have you.