Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old May 13, 2012, 09:29 PM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,706
Default

Note to all: I'm still paying attention but I won't be responding in this shit flinging contest....errrr...thread.

I am well past the point of trying to and in essence wasting my time responding to one roundabout accusation after another. They'll never end.
__________________
  #22 (permalink)  
Old May 13, 2012, 09:31 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
You guys are also forgetting driver improvements. AMD has has a long time to improve drivers so Nvidia can only get better. I would expect at least 10-20% added on on a lot of games.

Next you are going to complain that its unfair that AMD released HD 7970 before GTX 680. I can't believe this line of argument. When improvements happen and its seen why would anybody object. Until that its speculation.
  #23 (permalink)  
Old May 13, 2012, 09:34 PM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,040

My System Specs

Default

Hell raghu78, if you keep this up I'll never buy an AMD card again..... for the same reasons I'll never buy an Apple product.

In my world it's all about minimum fps and avoiding low ones, so by what you have quoted I certainly won't be buying AMD this round. 28fps > 19fps anyday.
  #24 (permalink)  
Old May 13, 2012, 09:38 PM
EmptyMellon's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 434

My System Specs

Arrow You can't argue with crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Note to all: I'm still paying attention but I won't be responding in this shit flinging contest....errrr...thread.

I am well past the point of trying to and in essence wasting my time responding to one roundabout accusation after another. They'll never end.
You can't argue with crazy.
  #25 (permalink)  
Old May 13, 2012, 09:47 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhatPaulie View Post
sweet you just proved everyone's points against you and did all the work
People can think what they want. About my comments on the games I am clear. I have played Batman Arkham city in DX9 when it came out. I enjoyed it. fantastic game. played it once more. I could not play in DX11 (when the patch came out) because of stability issues. I just didn't really feel it was worth the hassle. I played Deus Ex and BF3 with their full DX11 features. I loved Deus Ex more than BF3. great game with a deep engaging story and a good message at the end. Thats my point of view.
  #26 (permalink)  
Old May 13, 2012, 10:05 PM
CroSsFiRe2009's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,111

My System Specs

Default

Guys, guys, you're missing the point. AMD releasing a ghz version of their 7970 only shows the MASSIVE overclocking potential for the card. Nobody else here but Raghu here understands how much of a hardware advantage AMD has over nvidia. I modded my 7970 with flux capacitors and managed to hit over 9000mhz core with just the stock cooler!!
__________________

  #27 (permalink)  
Old May 13, 2012, 10:16 PM
Phill's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Morden MB
Posts: 597

My System Specs

Default

that's heavy
  #28 (permalink)  
Old May 13, 2012, 10:35 PM
Galcobar's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Richmond, B.C.
Posts: 437

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post
Next you are going to complain that its unfair that AMD released HD 7970 before GTX 680. I can't believe this line of argument. When improvements happen and its seen why would anybody object. Until that its speculation.
There has been no claim that AMD's advantage in having more time for driver optimizations is unfair.

However, claiming that there is no difference between new drivers and mature drivers is contradictory to reality. GCN has benefitted from time in the market; it is reasonable to expect Kepler to see similar gains. Thus, if a card with mature drivers and a price tag $80 higher for reference versions or $110 higher for overclocked and custom-cooled versions is competitive with the GTX 670, should we not expect the gains AMD's already demonstrated to push Kepler well ahead of its current competition?

AMD had the price-performance advantage for gamers. It doesn't any more. It gave it up in its pursuit of higher profit margins (entirely reasonable) and better GPGPU (enterprise market is a lucrative target).

But hey, as you pointed out you're Brahmin, which means your opinion should count much more heavily than those whose birth into a caste system does not indicate their soul's ascendance.
  #29 (permalink)  
Old May 13, 2012, 10:46 PM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,076

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post
People can think what they want. About my comments on the games I am clear. I have played Batman Arkham city in DX9 when it came out. I enjoyed it. fantastic game. played it once more. I could not play in DX11 (when the patch came out) because of stability issues. I just didn't really feel it was worth the hassle. I played Deus Ex and BF3 with their full DX11 features. I loved Deus Ex more than BF3. great game with a deep engaging story and a good message at the end. Thats my point of view.

Ok, I'm sorry but what the hell does that have to do with;

1. How games are tested here?
2. Nvidia?
3. AMD?
4. Hardware Canucks
5. Or any other damn thing with regards to how each of these cards performs?

Though I'm not sure if I want to even see what response there will be to those questions as it might just hurt my head like the rest of your posts.

Look people come here and read reviews that can help them decide on what to purchase. They also read reviews elsewhere when making those decisions. Most of us look at what resolution we are using and then look at what card performs best at that resolution and then go from there with regards to price, noise, and power.

I have seen you reference certain games because you think that they are the most demanding and therefore deserve the most attention. For example you point towards Witcher 2 which I have and played through more than once. Yes with that game in HWC's review the 7970 does beat the 680 once you hit 2560x1600, but the 670 still beats the 7950 in all resolutions (by a decent margin at 1920x1200 with AA on, which is most likely the most played resolution). So even in a game where you call out the 7900 series as doing really good they are respectfully right neck and neck with the 600 series from Nvidia. Hell even when you crank it up and push everything at 2560x1600 the 7970 only beats the 680 by 1fps average, and loses by 1fps on the minimum rate. These are so close that there is no difference.

Look even though you came off right out the gate looking like a real jerk paid troll, you mellowed your posts and that is the only reason why this was allowed to continue. The fact is that most of us here have already read pretty much everything you posted and we all know that while the 7900 series are good cards, the 670/680 do beat them in the majority of resolutions in the majority of games. Do they lose some battles yes, but that still doesn't mean that overall when the reviews were done they are the better cards. Yes things can change like getting a nice factory OC'd 7970 at a good price or something, but that same thing can happen with the 670 or 680. Then there are the ever changing drivers that usually bring increases in performance over time as well.

The video card market is an ever changing field where battles are won and lost all the time. Nvidia leads, AMD leads, the 690 blows everything away. We all get that you want to sing the praises of the 7900 series and right now with the price drops and sales I am seeing you are right that with price factored in you might want to get one over the 670/680. I wouldn't as I think the extra $30 for a card that does consistently beat the other in almost all tests on basically all review sites is worth it, you may not and that is your choice.

We can all tell that you want the 7900 series to be better cards but we have done our research as well, and that research shows us that the 670 is better than the 7950 and the 680 is better than the 7970. Hell the 670 beats the 7970 in many spots as well. So while you may be bitter about it, that still does not change the fact that at this point the 600 series is handing it to the 7900 series overall.


Boy that got longer than I intended, hopefully it still makes sense as I am a little tired.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


  #30 (permalink)  
Old May 13, 2012, 10:53 PM
Galcobar's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Richmond, B.C.
Posts: 437

My System Specs

Default

Ipaine, might I attempt a summary?

You can win the war without winning every battle.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 3GB Review SKYMTL Video Cards 93 April 1, 2011 08:52 AM