Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Oh i did and I just read the graphs from that hard OCP link and oh my the 7950 looses before OC and after OC. Opps?
Old May 13, 2012, 08:32 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post
I encourage you to look at my post where GTX 670 OC and HD 7950 OC are compared
Now you are just being obtuse....or willfully ignoring reality. You want to compare a STOCK non-binned 670 against a highly binned version of the AMD card. You either dont want to see how foolish that is or you are purposely trolling. Dont know which is the answer...and dont care.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhatPaulie View Post
Oh i did and I just read the graphs from that hard OCP link and oh my the 7950 looses before OC and after OC. Opps?
rofl...didnt even click the links but damn hes ALSO ignoring results that dont fit is world view?...again. wow.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 13, 2012, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't step here ... lol
Old May 13, 2012, 08:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have read the other thread and I have read this one. To me it's like beating a dead horse. No matter what anyone says he is truly just going to stick to what he has been saying. Personally I think he is a paid troll. I say why argue or debate with him anymore. Just ignore him, he will eventually get bored.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Dont try to compare OC'ed results to stock results...they will vary from card to card
I am talking 670 OC to HD 7950 OC from another site. If you have objections fine. But its not that the comparison is invalid. they are priced at the same point. so OC perf comparisons are not to be ignored.

Quote:
Lets take a couple games which favour AMD and ignore games which favour NV as those NV biased games are crap.
not at all. In fact taking games which favour NV too will not change the OC performance outcome. its closer than you would like to believe. In Batman Arkham city , a TWIMTBP title at 2560 x 1600

HARDOCP - Overclocking and Performance - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Video Card Review
HARDOCP - OC XFX R7950 Black Edition vs Radeon HD 7970 - XFX Radeon HD 7950 Black Edition Video Card Review

HD 7950 (800 ) - avg 36.7 fps min 18
HD 7950 OC (900 ) - avg 40.5 fps min 19
HD 7950 OC (1195) - avg 50.5 fps min 19
GTX 670 - avg 44.7 fps min 28
GTX 670 (1234) - avg 49.7 fps min 30

Granted the min fps of GTX 670 is much better but I have no doubt that given its a TWIMTBP title Nvidia would have made sure its cards run better. Also the DX11 implementation in Batman AC is an afterthought and more like a poor patch job - not well thought out and well integrated like BF3 or Deus Ex.

HARDOCP - Conclusion - Batman: Arkham City DirectX 11 Performance and IQ Review

"From a purely technological standpoint, we love the Tessellation in Batman: Arkham City. In those locations where it is implemented, it looks great and distinguishes itself. Ivy's lair and plants look like living, moving things. The slushy puddles look like actual slushy puddles. The trees look like gnarly, knotted monstrosities, and the statues look like they were carved by artists rather than 7-year-old children.

From a practical gaming perspective, Tessellation is used to uneven effect in Arkham City. On the one hand, there are a few areas in which it is very noticeable and looks great. On the other hand, it is hard to detect most of the time if you are just playing the game. If you walk around the city inspecting objects for signs of surface subdivision, you'll spot it. But stand back a bit and the difference often vanishes in this game. Unless you're a gamer who loves to play while flattened against a wall at all times, or likes to hang around as up close to decorative objects as possible, you are not likely to benefit from tessellation in this particular title, but for a few choice areas.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution used tessellation to improve the organic appearance of characters, both played and non-player. Since at least one character (Jensen) was always visible at any given time, tessellation was easy to appreciate, and it made a consistent difference. Instead of blocky polygonized characters, we had smooth, curvy, organic looking people. Batman: Arkham City is not so fortunate a title. Tessellation can be spotted all over the game, but we still have relatively stiff, blocky looking characters. In particular, the random innumerable thugs who prowl the streets sometimes seem like Lego men. Batman himself is exquisitely modeled, but even Catwoman has some too-straight lines."

In fact Deus Ex , a AMD GAMING EVOLVED title is a good example of using tessellation to good effect with best results in game without handicapping the competition.

Crysis 2 tessellation: too much of a good thing? - The Tech Report - Page 6

"Crytek's decision to deploy gratuitous amounts of tessellation in places where it doesn't make sense is frustrating, because they're essentially wasting GPU power—and they're doing so in a high-profile game that we'd hoped would be a killer showcase for the benefits of DirectX 11"

Say what you may but I have always felt Nvidia's efforts be it in Batman Arkham Asylum (AA issue) or Crysis 2 (with inefficient use of tessellation) is not in the best interests of gamers and the overall market. I view with skepticism a TWIMTBP title. BF3 and Deus Ex are good examples of GAMING EVOLVED titles which are in the best interests of the gamers.

Last edited by raghu78; May 13, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 09:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

sweet you just proved everyone's points against you and did all the work
Old May 13, 2012, 09:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow better then this

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post
My complaint was the general tone of the conclusion from the GTX 670 review is not reflective of the true competitiveness of AMD HD 7970 / 7950 vs Nvidia GTX 680 / 670.

"With performance that comes awfully close to a fully enabled GK104, the GTX 670 poses a nightmare scenario for AMD. Fresh off a round of price drops, they now have to contend with a card that retails for the same price as a HD 7950 but runs dead even with a HD 7970 in everything except multi monitor resolutions. To add insult to injury, the Radeon cards fight a losing battle in the performance per watt and acoustics categories as well. Free game offer or not, without another $50 to $75 shaved off, we can’t think of a single scenario where a gamer should choose a Tahiti-based card over the GTX 670. "

raghu78, alright; you have an obvious agenda with AMD's HD 7000 cards. I have been doing my own research - noise performance oriented specifcally - for the past number of weeks. I have rejected any and all previous gen nVidia and AMD cards. The card cannot be an HD 7750; so it has to be an HD 7770 or higher and it has to do better then an XFX HD 7770 DD OC (XFX HD 7770 Black Edition Super Overclock 1 GB Review | techPowerUp)...
Oh wait, it think I found one, it is an ASUS GTX 670 Direct CU II Top (ASUS GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II TOP 2 GB Review | techPowerUp).

Now, please do find me a better card, unless you have a "complaint" with "the general tone of the conclusion" at techPowerUp!.
Quote:
Fan noise of the ASUS GTX 670 DC II is incredible. In idle it is barely audible if you put your ear next to it - using a completely passive PC, in a quiet room. Under load the fan ramps up a tiny bit to handle the extra heat but the difference is barely measurable. As a result the GTX 670 DC II is quieter under load than most other cards in idle!! Perfect job ASUS!
I beg of you to find me a better card, please!

Last edited by EmptyMellon; May 13, 2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: sp
Old May 13, 2012, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Now you are just being obtuse....or willfully ignoring reality. You want to compare a STOCK non-binned 670 against a highly binned version of the AMD card.
I think you are trying to get away from OC results because its not to your liking. You believe that a press sample of GTX 670 is the same card as a retail sample. I have to say you are naive. Nvidia can easily send the best GTX 670 samples which have the best Turbo speeds and the best OC speeds possible. And yes discussing with SKYMTL in an objective manner is proving easier than with you. You seem to have hit the high benchmarks for bias and narrow mindedness

Last edited by raghu78; May 13, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 09:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

No he has a valid point. Do you have any idea why there might be a 7970 ghz edition now and not before? Well its because the process has got some maturity to it and as such they can start sending out better chips to manu's...... So you really think that the 670 chip is at its absolutely fullest maturity out of the gate? Even if they did what you said they could have.... is AMD free from being blamed for the same thing when they launched tahiti and tahiti pro? need a better argument than that bro
Old May 13, 2012, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You guys are also forgetting driver improvements. AMD has has a long time to improve drivers so Nvidia can only get better. I would expect at least 10-20% added on on a lot of games.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Closed Thread