Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Pre videocard install do's and don't's?? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/54224-pre-videocard-install-dos-donts.html)

BukitHedd May 13, 2012 10:55 AM

Pre videocard install do's and don't's??

I've finally ordered a video card for my 3 month old gaming computer. It's all listed in my system specs. So, obviously, I've been using integrated graphics this whole time. I've already downloaded the latest 670 driver from the nvidia site. I'm just waiting for my card to arrive in the mail.

Are there any steps I should take before plugging it in? All I plan to do is hook it up, boot my system and install the drivers, and immediately play Battlefield 3 for the first time.

I thought about doing a fresh windows install from the image I made when I first loaded everything, but maybe that's a little extreme. As you can tell, I tend to over-think simple tasks.

Thanks.

Bungwirez May 13, 2012 11:09 AM

OMG. Applauding your patience over here I am. WOW.

I should think you're OK to just plug n play.

Shibby.

Pabz0r545 May 13, 2012 11:10 AM

If you've got the drivers downloaded and ready to install you are ready to rock! GOod man downloading them instead of using the CD :D

BukitHedd May 13, 2012 11:20 AM

LOL All those Linus unboxing videos have paid off. "Here's the driver disk. Throw it away and download the latest!"

I even have BF3 downloading today. I literally hope to boot the system, install the drivers, reboot, and launch BF3.

I've been twiddling my thumbs and playing Team Fortress 2 (which runs perfect on Intel 3000) this whole time. I've had Fallout 3 installed for a month now, but I can't even launch it without a video card.

WhippWhapp May 13, 2012 12:26 PM

Get beta driver with adaptive v sync, I don't think you need to worry coming from integrated graphics- most of the trouble is moving between nvidia and ATI.

Pabz0r545 May 13, 2012 12:42 PM

Enjoy playing BF3 on your 670. They are sweet ass cards. I just got one on the 10th myself :D. I still haven't tested on BF3 yet because D3 is out on the 15th and I will never play BF3 again after that so I decided I don't even want to reinstall it on my computer. I did a wipe and fresh install because I switched from AMD to Nvidia.

Perineum May 13, 2012 01:01 PM

Windows 7 is so forgiving... even if yanking a HD from an AMD / ATI system you can just plug it into an Intel / Nvidia system and it'll boot right up. Install new proper drivers for all hardware and you're done.

I've done it many, many times without issue. (IE: destroyed motherboards)

W4ff1e May 13, 2012 09:00 PM

Im actually playing bf3 on hd3000 waiting for my 680 haha, ~25 fps everything on min @ 600p

Slik May 14, 2012 10:10 AM

I would uninstall all previous video drivers first.

Painbringer71 May 14, 2012 01:04 PM

In the old days I use to go in to devise manager and uinistall the drivers for the on board card. (newer boards shut this off automatically) Then shutdown install new card connect monitor to new card. Then check bios to make sure it seeing the PCI E. Reboot Install new drivers Good to go.