Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2012, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yea.. the shroud, heatsink and fan let this card down a bunch... but even with this it performs so damn well, I can't wait to see what the custom designs can do for the performance..

Think the better coolers will drive the prices up as they will be so damn near 680 performance and the board manufacturers will be shooting themselves in the foot if they keep them much cheaper than the 680.

That said, any good cooler at near stock price will be an awesome bargain.
Hurry up and release the 660 Nvidia.. :) (though a 670 is on my shopping list, not sure I can justify it from a 560ti on a single 1080 monitor :( )
Old May 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Yea.. the shroud, heatsink and fan let this card down a bunch... but even with this it performs so damn well, I can't wait to see what the custom designs can do for the performance..

Think the better coolers will drive the prices up as they will be so damn near 680 performance and the board manufacturers will be shooting themselves in the foot if they keep them much cheaper than the 680.

That said, any good cooler at near stock price will be an awesome bargain.
Hurry up and release the 660 Nvidia.. :) (though a 670 is on my shopping list, not sure I can justify it from a 560ti on a single 1080 monitor :( )
Personally, I believe that if you already have a nice and short PCB, why spoil it. Plus, an nVidia stock top-down fan would provide better cooling and quieter operation - yes, all the heat would not be ejected throught the back. The only reason I've been eyeing an XFX HD 7770 DD card, as of late, is for its performance/noise balance, for the home machine - got a borrowed passively cooled 9600GT sitting in there, ATM.

Then again, I am in no rush, and will patiently wait til nVidia releases its full line of 600 series cards and watch AMD cards for price drops on their HD 7000 ones. Nothing is worst then impulse buying...a month later end up drooping at all the non-reference ("I wish I waited") designs.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:43 AM
MVP

Excellent Reference Coolers, good specs but the Heat is not that good at all IMHO. That fan would be quite noisy with those temps.

Figured this would make a good and quiet GPU for a Shuttle Gaming System for a family member....may have to look towards ATI again. Ah well.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old May 11, 2012, 05:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
Excellent Reference Coolers, good specs but the Heat is not that good at all IMHO. That fan would be quite noisy with those temps.
But it's not. It's only marginally louder than a 7950, a card that it beats out in approximately 99.9% of all normal situations. And it's worlds quieter than the 7970, a card that it trades blows with on a regular basis.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The HD 7970's price is still all over the place. Before the GTX 670 went on sale, there were still several cards going for $500 - $550 on Newegg. Now, not so much. ;)
ah okay. I don't keep up on my ATI prices when their cards don't interest me, but it makes sense that they're trying to squeeze out any $$ they can while stock issues still prevent people from getting a kepler card.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:09 AM
Rookie

Default Gtx 670, SKYMTL review

Hey there,

Bit noobish here but anyways, so i was reading the overclocking gtx 670 section and i was wondering under what conditions those results were obtained.
Was that just a stock card or extra cooling? All settings in X-tool?
Old May 11, 2012, 09:20 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimtl View Post
Hey there,

Bit noobish here but anyways, so i was reading the overclocking gtx 670 section and i was wondering under what conditions those results were obtained.
Was that just a stock card or extra cooling? All settings in X-tool?
Stock card, no extra cooling, open case.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:31 AM
Allstar

I'd love to see this with a passive cooling setup something like this ( PowerColor HD 6850 1GB SCS3 Passive Review ). I don't think passive air only could handle the cooling for heavy gaming but for casual and regular use it would be great!
Old May 11, 2012, 12:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
I'd love to see this with a passive cooling setup something like this ( PowerColor HD 6850 1GB SCS3 Passive Review ). I don't think passive air only could handle the cooling for heavy gaming but for casual and regular use it would be great!
Agreed. Initially, I was hoping that nVidia would release a passively coolled GTX 670 (to impress the crowds), but they instead came out with a 690 ...oh well.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So under water this card should achieve stellar usable clock speeds.