Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2012, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
Do gpu retail prices drop that fast?
Hoping so. The AMD cards have already seen price drops and are likely to see more sooner rather than later.

But my decision to buy in the fall actually has more to do with timing than anything else. I play more in the fall/winter than I do in the spring/summer anyways so theres not much point in upgrading sooner. And I have a rule about how long it is before I upgrade and this is just a little early for my optimum timing.
Old May 10, 2012, 01:33 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
I'm so glad I purchased one of these.

Any clue on how long it usually takes to make a waterblock?
You could likely get away w/ a universal block. The card looks to already have a seperate VRM sink. So really you should be good w/ a universal block as long as you have some air flow over the card.
Old May 10, 2012, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You could likely get away w/ a universal block. The card looks to already have a seperate VRM sink. So really you should be good w/ a universal block as long as you have some air flow over the card.
I'm trying to do a really nice setup lowfat inspired by your beautiful builds so a full block is a must. Does universal ever come in full block?
Old May 10, 2012, 06:03 PM
Allstar

I don't know why anyone is surprised at a graphics card company optimizing for game benchmarks. It ahs been a common practise for years that they optimize for ebnchmarks to make their cards look as good as possible. That was until they were caught out and people started using real world tests in preference to synthetics. And both ATI and nVidia were guilty of it, and 3dfx too iirc.

670 looks like a great card. Those top mounted power conncetors that far down the card may create a power lead routing issue in some setups though.
Old May 10, 2012, 06:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
I don't know why anyone is surprised at a graphics card company optimizing for game benchmarks. It ahs been a common practise for years that they optimize for ebnchmarks to make their cards look as good as possible. That was until they were caught out and people started using real world tests in preference to synthetics. And both ATI and nVidia were guilty of it, and 3dfx too iirc.

670 looks like a great card. Those top mounted power conncetors that far down the card may create a power lead routing issue in some setups though.

Yeah I can see routing being a bit of a PITA but overall it should be okay.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 10, 2012, 07:06 PM
Allstar

Is the AMD hardware good but drivers suck right now? because there are games where AMD is tier for tier with Nvidia or better even... then it bombs hard and the 670 runs along with it or even beats it. Nvidia seems to be more consistent in frames. If the hardware was crap I would expect to see a more consistent fail for AMD. Good review on the 670, it is a impressive little card.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HD 7970 MSRP = $550? I thought the 7970 was down to $475 or something like that.

This is a great card for the price/performance landscape, but alas $400 for a gpu is still not mainstream pricing for most people.

So you're saying that over clocking is brainless now: create custom fan profile to keep it cool, set desired boost as high as it will let you and go? Haha, no guessing how high you can set it, just set it as high as possible and it will o/c to meet tdp.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:49 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The HD 7970's price is still all over the place. Before the GTX 670 went on sale, there were still several cards going for $500 - $550 on Newegg. Now, not so much. ;)
Old May 10, 2012, 09:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The HD 7970's price is still all over the place. Before the GTX 670 went on sale, there were still several cards going for $500 - $550 on Newegg. Now, not so much. ;)
It's looking like the 7970 price needs to come down to around the same price of the 670 to be competitive. I've had better luck with nVidia drivers, so the only reason I'd buy AMD is if it was cheaper. I see no reason to buy a 7970 right now.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Question fan

Nice review, as always, and I like the added care taken with the detailed dis-assembly pic's of the whole card.

The overall performance of a GTX 670 is very impressive, along with the PCB; which brings me to a point about the "added" HS fan. Are there any obvious reason(s) why, nVidia did not use a top-down fan much like in the stock GTX 560 (or GTX 690 for that matter), instead of the (toilet) blower-fan, which seems like a very poor after-thought for such a wonderfully short PCB?

I know all the after-market vendors are lining up to do their bidding, but still, if I wanted a penis extender I get a 680 or a 690.