Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old May 10, 2012, 09:59 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,068

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Bingo. In some cases, you don't even need to up the Boost Clock. A cooler running Kepler card SHOULD boost higher by itself to begin with. But by that same rule, a hot card will NOT provide the same performance.
Good to know, so its intelligent enough to know its limits, and if we give it the cooling we can really maximize the performance. I bet this is going to make for some amazing Board Partner cards.

Thanks SKY!
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old May 10, 2012, 11:48 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 24
Default

SKYMTL
As I see from your GTX 670 charts the performance od HD 7970 and HD 7950 in Batman Arkham city has not changed a bit. You have mentioned Catalyst 12.4 as your driver software for HD 7900 series. Websites like legitreviews, hexus, anandtech have shown the HD 7970 gain significant performance in Batman at 4X AA and 8X AA. They have also mentioned the catalyst 12.4 drivers as the reason for the improved performance. I cannot believe that your benchmarks alone did not see any performance improvement with Catalyst 12.4. Is this is a clear cut case of either gross negligence in failing to update the true results in the review charts or is it just a plain pro Nvidia paid review.

Last edited by raghu78; May 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old May 10, 2012, 11:51 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 24
Default Proof of Batman Arkham City HD 7970 improved performance

SKYMTL
FYI I am providing a few links

legitreviews
GTX 670 review - HD 7970 with AMD Catalyst 12.4
NVIDIA & EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card Review - Batman: Arkham City - Legit Reviews

GTX 680 review
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Video Card Review - Batman: Arkham City - Legit Reviews

Hexus
GTX 670 review - HD 7970 with Catalyst 12.4
Review: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 - Graphics - HEXUS.net - Page 6

GTX 680 review
Review: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB graphics card - Graphics - HEXUS.net - Page 10


anandtech

GTX 670 review - HD 7970 with catalyst 12.4
AnandTech - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Review Feat. EVGA: Bringing GK104 Down To $400

AnandTech - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Review: Retaking The Performance Crown


hardware.fr
GTX 670 review - HD 7970 with Catalyst 12.4
Benchmark : Batman Arkham City - Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 en test - HardWare.fr

GTX 680 review
Benchmark : Batman Arkham City - Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 en test - HardWare.fr

All of them show the HD 7970 / HD 7950 gaining significant performance . In fact the hardware.fr review
shows the HD 7970 going from 79 to 98 fps at 4XAA and the HD 7950 going from 71 to 85 fps. At 8X AA
the HD 7970 is shown to beat the GTX 680 clearly in all the 3 websites. FYI anandtech has updated the 7970 scores in the GTX 670 review but failed to update the HD 7950 scores

So could you please explain how there is no change in the HD 7970 scores from the earlier reviews to the GTX 670 review

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Review

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Review

Last edited by raghu78; May 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old May 10, 2012, 12:08 PM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post
SKYMTL
FYI I am providing a few links

legitreviews
GTX 670 review - HD 7970 with AMD Catalyst 12.4
NVIDIA & EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card Review - Batman: Arkham City - Legit Reviews

GTX 680 review
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Video Card Review - Batman: Arkham City - Legit Reviews

Hexus
GTX 670 review - HD 7970 with Catalyst 12.4
Review: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 - Graphics - HEXUS.net - Page 6

GTX 680 review
Review: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB graphics card - Graphics - HEXUS.net - Page 10

hardware.fr

GTX 670 review - HD 7970 with Catalyst 12.4
Benchmark : Batman Arkham City - Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 en test - HardWare.fr

GTX 680 review
Benchmark : Batman Arkham City - Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 en test - HardWare.fr

All of them show the HD 7970 / HD 7950 gaining significant performance . In fact the hardware.fr review
shows the HD 7970 going from 79 to 98 fps at 4XAA and the HD 7950 going from 71 to 85 fps. At 8X AA
the HD 7970 is shown to beat the GTX 680 clearly in all the 3 websites.


So could you please explain how there is no change in the HD 7970 scores from the earlier reviews to

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Review

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Review
Very easy.

They use the BUILT IN BENCHMARK while we use an actual in-game sequence. AMD has optimized their latest driver stack for the somewhat unique conditions in the benchmark, hence the improvement. IN game, there is no improvement whatsoever.

HOWEVER, this brings me to my next point. You will notice in the GTX 690 reviews that used Batman: AC + the built in benchmark that many sites listed VERY poor performance for the HD 7900-series Crossfire solutions. In our GTX 690 review, AMD's cards scaled very well. Once again this is the difference between using the benchmark versus an actual in game experience.

Thanks for bringing it up though since I totally forgot to mention anything about it.
__________________

Last edited by SKYMTL; May 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old May 10, 2012, 12:14 PM
Pabz0r545's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,308

My System Specs

Default

I'm so glad I purchased one of these.

Any clue on how long it usually takes to make a waterblock?
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old May 10, 2012, 12:25 PM
SugarJ's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 6,140

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post
SKYMTL
As I see from your GTX 670 charts the performance od HD 7970 and HD 7950 in Batman Arkham city has not changed a bit. You have mentioned Catalyst 12.4 as your driver software for HD 7900 series. Websites like legitreviews, hexus, anandtech have shown the HD 7970 gain significant performance in Batman at 4X AA and 8X AA. They have also mentioned the catalyst 12.4 drivers as the reason for the improved performance. I cannot believe that your benchmarks alone did not see any performance improvement with Catalyst 12.4. Is this is a clear cut case of either gross negligence in failing to update the true results in the review charts or is it just a plain pro Nvidia paid review.
I'd like to thank you for signing up all the way from India just to call into question SKYMTL's integrity. Welcome to the boards.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old May 10, 2012, 12:30 PM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I'd like to thank you for signing up all the way from India just to call into question SKYMTL's integrity. Welcome to the boards.
Meh, I posted the true reason.

Let's see if if he has an issue with AMD specifically tailoring their drivers for a built in benchmark. Or if he questions the "gross negligence" of the sites he so gratuitously linked to.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old May 10, 2012, 12:37 PM
muse108dc's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver North
Posts: 1,714
Default

wow. thats impressive for 100 less than the 680. I'm still waiting for the fall though, need them all to come down a bit more I think still.

I do have to add that I am quite dissapointed that AMD fell so far ehind this round, the transition to the new architecture hurt them. Hopefully it will pay off next time round though. Been an AMD user since the 2900s came out and have always cheered for the underdog but nVidia just blew them away this time round.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old May 10, 2012, 12:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Very easy.

They use the BUILT IN BENCHMARK while we use an actual in-game sequence. AMD has optimized their latest driver stack for the somewhat unique conditions in the benchmark, hence the improvement. IN game, there is no improvement whatsoever.

HOWEVER, this brings me to my next point. You will notice in the GTX 690 reviews that used Batman: AC + the built in benchmark that many sites listed VERY poor performance for the HD 7900-series Crossfire solutions. In our GTX 690 review, AMD's cards scaled very well. Once again this is the difference between using the benchmark versus an actual in game experience.

Thanks for bringing it up though since I totally forgot to mention anything about it.

[H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Video Card Review @ [H]

I have it on record from a HD 7970 CF user. The latest Batman patch has improved in game performance substantially. So what do you say now . caught with your hand in the Nvidia cookie jar
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old May 10, 2012, 12:49 PM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post
[H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Video Card Review @ [H]

I have it on record from a HD 7970 CF user. The latest Batman patch has improved in game performance substantially. So what do you say now . caught with your hand in the Nvidia cookie jar
Did you not read my post? I mean actually READ it?

CROSSFIRE performance went up as confirmed by the link you just shot up. I showed that in the GTX 690 review. SINGLE CARD performance DID NOT...which is exactly what was shown in the GTX 670 review.

This I know since I actually play Batman: AC on a weekly basis on my gaming system that uses two HD 7870 cards.

Nice try though....I'll give you points for effort.

If anything, you should be posting on all those other sites' forums blasting them for not updating their Crossfire results in the GTX 690 review.
__________________

Last edited by SKYMTL; May 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 103 July 23, 2012 02:02 PM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 26 June 24, 2011 09:25 AM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 62 January 27, 2011 07:20 AM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 82 December 14, 2010 08:50 PM
Comment Thread for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 SLI Review SKYMTL Video Cards 48 April 19, 2010 02:49 PM