Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2012, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the review, SKY.
The overclocking results for the 3rd party 670s should be interesting: do you get better OC from longer cards (e.g. Gigabyte) because the components are more spaced out for cooling, or worse OC results because some of the traces would be longer? When that review comes out I'll definitely jump straight to those results of short PCB vs longer PCB.

I'm still waiting for a "midrange" card from this lineup that will go against the Radeon 7850 (somehow I'm gaming on my backup 7900GS!), although seeing this review and the 680's review, it should be another slaughter when that card comes out.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the review!

Talk about great bang for the buck!

I wonder what a GTX 660Ti might do in comparison to the rest now
Old May 10, 2012, 07:58 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Thanks for the review, SKY.
The overclocking results for the 3rd party 670s should be interesting: do you get better OC from longer cards (e.g. Gigabyte) because the components are more spaced out for cooling, or worse OC results because some of the traces would be longer? When that review comes out I'll definitely jump straight to those results of short PCB vs longer PCB.

I'm still waiting for a "midrange" card from this lineup that will go against the Radeon 7850 (somehow I'm gaming on my backup 7900GS!), although seeing this review and the 680's review, it should be another slaughter when that card comes out.
Overclocking is so different with these cards that you almost have to throw preconceptions out the window. Since the overclocks are based upon Boost speeds, if you give the ASIC excess TDP headroom (in other words, getting it to run cooler) it will Boost higher based upon your increased offset. As such, any card with an upgraded cooling assembly will naturally achieve higher clock speeds than a reference design. This isn't due to PCB traces or even component selection as those items will only come into effect when you are pushing the upper limits of the architecture through exotic means of cooling.

Considering the performance of the GTX 670, I'd predict that any GTX 660 would match or potentially beat the HD 7950. I think you would have to go downmarket in NVIDIA's lineup (ie: potential GT 650) for a card that would compete with the HD 7870 and HD 7850.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:04 AM
Rookie

Great price considering the performance you're getting!
Old May 10, 2012, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AMD has their work cut out for them this summer/fall retooling their architecture to be competitive with Nvidia. ATM they are not.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm sure these will sell like hotcakes, but I disagree with the comment regarding these becoming the new 8800gt's. No way at their current price. Once they release the 660 Ti, or anything around the $250 to $300ish mark, that's when s**t will get real. Great review once again though.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Overclocking is so different with these cards that you almost have to throw preconceptions out the window. Since the overclocks are based upon Boost speeds, if you give the ASIC excess TDP headroom (in other words, getting it to run cooler) it will Boost higher based upon your increased offset. As such, any card with an upgraded cooling assembly will naturally achieve higher clock speeds than a reference design. This isn't due to PCB traces or even component selection as those items will only come into effect when you are pushing the upper limits of the architecture through exotic means of cooling.
So what you're saying is,

Make Cold, Go Fast.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
AMD has their work cut out for them this summer/fall retooling their architecture to be competitive with Nvidia. ATM they are not.
Very true, but Nvidia still has no mid-range cards in the 600 series. The 560Ti/560 are still great, but AMD have the better performance/watt in that area. Also there are no low end Nvidia cards I would buy or recommend (nothing below the 560). For anything sub gtx 560 I would recommend AMD.

The rest of this line-up can't get here soon enough. Hopefully the 660 gpu design can hold true to the performance/cost/power consumption trend that its big brothers have laid out before it.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:47 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Price / perf ratio on this is win. Great review :)
Old May 10, 2012, 08:57 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
So what you're saying is,

Make Cold, Go Fast.
Bingo. In some cases, you don't even need to up the Boost Clock. A cooler running Kepler card SHOULD boost higher by itself to begin with. But by that same rule, a hot card will NOT provide the same performance.