Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2012, 05:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

It's called expecting my $1200+ video card to last more than three days, and a company not willing to extend a service that most likely costs them nothing out of good faith when it doesn't.... I have no problem dumping this kind of money on items I want without remorse thank you. I was just sharing my experince that's all, feel free to pass it by if you don't like it...
Old June 27, 2012, 07:32 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You got a lemon. Shite happens. When you say service was slow...what do you mean? 24hrs? 48hrs? 3 business days? Would honestly like to know on this one as I have had very good service from Evga in the past...BUT if thats changed I would like to know.

In either case, just because you bought one expensive card doesnt mean you are entitled to more anything for free. And YES it would cost them more. Extra warranty means a higher chance to have to replace a card for free. If you buy thirty or forty a year and have done so for the past oh say 5 years...than yeah your business would be worth the added expense. As it stands, you got a bad card. You want something for free. They said no as your business isnt worth the expense to them. If you think thats unfair....dont do business with them in the future if it means that much to you....OR suck it up, put on your big boy pants and realize that you are not entitled to anything for free. Its always worth politely asking but dont think they have to do it. YMMV

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 27, 2012, 07:52 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

It took about 1.5 months and many emails and phone calls (I bought it second week of May, finally got a label to send it back the other day as I said.) I realize I am not entitled to anything for free, but as I mentioned a good faith gesture to the tune of $30 retail, and at their cost next to nothing or nothing, as it would probably never be used, was denied. Waiting for over a month, calling and emailing many times and not getting answers, shipping labels that were sent to me 3x and were blank each time, is bad service no matter whom its from. This is slow and poor service in my books on a card this expensive or any card for that matter.
I rma'd an 8800 GTX years ago with MSI and they cross-shipped and upgraded it for free to an Ultra after the card they sent me had no thermal material in it at all... that was excellent service. EVGA helped me with support quickly and nicely in the past when I first got my 480 from them and had an issue with it, even Asus cross-shipped a motherboard I had probelms with before I even had a chance to take it out of the system and emailed me tons and tons of tests/info etc to make sure it was the motherboard... that was excellent service. I more than gave them chances to fix this, as I said I only posted this here to share my experience, not argue what makes good sevice for each of us. So I'll leave it at this. Sorry all experiences we have aren't good, duds happen as you guys even said. EVGA has been great with me in the past, yes, but they dropped the ball on this one...

Last edited by Icarus; June 27, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Nvidia geForce GTX 690 Review Comment Thread

Time to kiss and make up guys! hehe. Have 1 on me.

A little humour to break the tension. Now if only I had something funny to say, .
Old June 27, 2012, 09:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If it took that long then that is unacceptable. You should have gotten priority. It is disappointing to hear what happened to you and hope EVGA doesn't continue to act like that.

With that said there were extreme shortages as most stores were only getting 1-2 cards a week so I could understand some delays but 1.5 months is too long. They also could have thought it was a driver issue so maybe they held off because of that.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 27, 2012, 09:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I agree, I went through support with both EVGA and NVidia. Nvidia blamed the card almost 2weeks before EVGA did which I relayed both ways. I've had much better luck with EVGA and other companies in the past so won't write them off totally, just for now until I see what else is released...

I'm thinking of SLI'ing my 480 if I can get another cheap enough for now, or if I see something different out (though with a 690 I dunno if we'll see much difference from reference, will we?) I much rather stick with a single card solution though even if it's a dual-gpu card...
Old June 28, 2012, 05:33 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I totally understand your situation. NVIDIA does bill this card as "special" and with good reason. Yes, you should be entitled to good service and in this case, you're better off RMAing through the board partner rather than a retailer as they're more likely to get in additional stock.

One of the issues with this launch is that ALL of the cards seem to be sent out into the retail channel without ANY being left for RMA purposes. This is a huge mistake on the part of the board partners as it increasingly seems like they are trying to make every possible dollar off of these. Typically, a certain percentage of cards are put aside for a rainy day but when stock comes in through fits and spurts, many issues such as this can arise. Expect an even worse situation if the card goes bad two years from now....
Old June 28, 2012, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I totally understand your situation. NVIDIA does bill this card as "special" and with good reason. Yes, you should be entitled to good service and in this case, you're better off RMAing through the board partner rather than a retailer as they're more likely to get in additional stock.

One of the issues with this launch is that ALL of the cards seem to be sent out into the retail channel without ANY being left for RMA purposes. This is a huge mistake on the part of the board partners as it increasingly seems like they are trying to make every possible dollar off of these. Typically, a certain percentage of cards are put aside for a rainy day but when stock comes in through fits and spurts, many issues such as this can arise. Expect an even worse situation if the card goes bad two years from now....
And there lies the inherent problem with buying what is essentially limited edition kit. If the card catastrophically fails a couple of years down the road while still in the warranty period and can't be fixed, what do they replace it with? It's not like they can 'upgrade' you to the next level of card when they run out of stock. What if the next gen dual GPU card doesn't have the superb heatsink and construction of this one? Would they refund you the full purchase price 2 years down the road? Methinks not...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 28, 2012, 08:33 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
And there lies the inherent problem with buying what is essentially limited edition kit. If the card catastrophically fails a couple of years down the road while still in the warranty period and can't be fixed, what do they replace it with? It's not like they can 'upgrade' you to the next level of card when they run out of stock. What if the next gen dual GPU card doesn't have the superb heatsink and construction of this one? Would they refund you the full purchase price 2 years down the road? Methinks not...
There will ALWAYS be something better that you will have no problem upgrading to when they suggest it.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Nvidia geForce GTX 690 Review Comment Thread

Imho I absolutely agree with Squeetard with an RMA exchange. Chances are that you'll have sold or traded that card by then and the cards that come out by then will likely spank any and every card currently in the market.

Let's face it, if you can purchase 1 of these babies, chances of owning the latest and greatest by then will also be yours.

For me, if I had the funds, there would be 1 in my system right now. Enjoy that monster while it's there because there are a lot of people who would jump through hoops to get their hands on 1.

Heck, if I could, there would be 2 in quad sli. 2 5970s was scary good at the time, though the driver issue kept popping up.The 480 sli was better, with the exception of both being power consumption and

heat. The 580s in sli ran on my screen with no hiccups. Only 1 670 OC so far, but it still kicks a##! Details I have never noticed b4, that's what makes the latest so much fun 4 me!!!