Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2012, 12:05 PM
Rookie

Default Crossfire 6870's, 6970, or 7870

Hi,
I'd like a decent graphics card for gaming (BF3, CoD, Team Fortress, Skyrim, etc.) on high settings, Fraps recording, and 3D and video rendering (all at 1080p resolution). I'd prefer it would last, to some extent or another, for a few years as well.
So, I was wondering, which option should I go for: two Radeon HD 6870's in crossfire, one 6970, or one 7870 (or something else entirely)? There's not really much cost difference between the three.
Thanks
Old May 2, 2012, 12:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Soon as you said rendering, have to recommend an nvidia card,570/580 are lowering in price, lots of cheaper used ones available right now, maybe even an EVGA GTX480 on for $200 new right now.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

First off, what's the processor that comp has? I thought FRAPS was fairly CPU dependent, and the only requirement for the GPU is that it at least plays the games well enough.

Second, I personally suggest not using FRAPS. Personally I'd go with Dxtory (Dxtory.com | Home). The Engrish may take a bit to get used to, and it definitely is a bit more of a process to set up than FRAPS, but jesus is it ever nice. Recording and livestreaming 60FPS at 1080p with almost 0% performance penalty aside from the fact that my harddrive couldn't keep up, man was that nice.

Edit: Point 2.5: FRAPS can't make a file over 4GB in size. If you're recording at 1080p for any significant amount of time, you are going to end up with a boatload of 3.98GB files using FRAPS' "custom" codec, whereas Dxtory, you get one single file encoded with the codec of your choice right off the bat.

Third, do you have any real preference if it's AMD(always ATI in my heart) or NVIDIA? Because with the Geforce 670 coming soon, it might be best to hold out for that, see how it compares to the 7870, and if it's the right price, pick that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
Soon as you said rendering, have to recommend an nvidia card,570/580 are lowering in price, lots of cheaper used ones available right now, maybe even an EVGA GTX480 on for $200 new right now.
^ This right here.

Last edited by Jebusman; May 2, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old May 2, 2012, 02:13 PM
Rookie

First off, the computer will have an i7 processor.

As for AMD vs NVIDIA, I was told Fraps is horrible on GeForce cards, but I could go either way, really. I'll look into Dxtory.
Old May 2, 2012, 06:00 PM
Rookie

I'd recommend you get the single most poweful gpu you can buy before a multi-card or dual gpu solution. Crossfire may not be supported on some titles you will play and there is always the micro-stuttering issue...

If you can't wait get the 7870.

NVidia may have a better offering with the upcoming 660 and 670 gpus.
Old May 2, 2012, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

fraps isn't really GPU bound, its all down to your CPU and the speed of the HDD you're recording to.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:40 PM
Banned

Fraps if anything is i/o bound .... meaning if your tryin to record something over fraps on say a pata 5400 rpm drive you'll never get the output you want, especialy if you factor in multi channel sound into things.

As most of the online info sugests, you should be looking at a single, fair sized Sata6.o speced hard drive @ Sata 6 speeds with nothing else on it but as a buffer drive for the footage.

But I will check out that Dxtory that some1 else mentioned. ty

As for the videocard .... you will want the best single gpu solution. Furthermore IF your going to be using the latest Adobe products theres going to be no reason to choose a nvidia cause "cause its optomized for rendering" as of the new 6.0 versions of all there software its now optimized for AMD solutions/apu's. SORRY nvidia worshipers!!

IF ultimately you choose the 7870 route, might i sugest tryin to avoid blower style models if your not a fan of hearing a fan "whine" when gettin closer to 40% fan speed.

Edit, I tried that Dxtory ..... its captured what i tried all choppy ... will be stickin with fraps ty ... it might be a pita to deal with 4 gig chunks but its not ..

Last edited by terrybear; May 2, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old May 3, 2012, 03:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Fraps if anything is i/o bound .... meaning if your tryin to record something over fraps on say a pata 5400 rpm drive you'll never get the output you want, especialy if you factor in multi channel sound into things.

As most of the online info sugests, you should be looking at a single, fair sized Sata6.o speced hard drive @ Sata 6 speeds with nothing else on it but as a buffer drive for the footage.

But I will check out that Dxtory that some1 else mentioned. ty

As for the videocard .... you will want the best single gpu solution. Furthermore IF your going to be using the latest Adobe products theres going to be no reason to choose a nvidia cause "cause its optomized for rendering" as of the new 6.0 versions of all there software its now optimized for AMD solutions/apu's. SORRY nvidia worshipers!!

IF ultimately you choose the 7870 route, might i sugest tryin to avoid blower style models if your not a fan of hearing a fan "whine" when gettin closer to 40% fan speed.

Edit, I tried that Dxtory ..... its captured what i tried all choppy ... will be stickin with fraps ty ... it might be a pita to deal with 4 gig chunks but its not ..
Werid. Never had any choppyness with Dxtory. Then again I don't record nearly as often, I usually have it stream. Dxtory has the ability to output to a virtual DirectShow screen, which XSplit can pick up directly instead of relying on their Game Capture or Screen Capture methods.

And seriously, those 4GB chunks annoyed me more than you can ever imagine.
Old May 3, 2012, 05:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

7870/gtx 570 IMO
Old May 3, 2012, 12:25 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice, guys. I guess I'll either go for the 7870 or wait until NVIDIA releases more 6xx cards.