Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29, 2012, 08:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Such a sexy looking card. That shroud design should be in everything!
Old April 29, 2012, 08:21 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Is it strange I care more for the SLi bridge then the card?
Yeah, that is one sexy SLI bridge. I have no idea where it's from.
Old April 29, 2012, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

*patiently waits for 680 hand-me-downs*
Old April 29, 2012, 08:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

worlds sexiest vid card right there.... wonder what the thermals/ noise will be like
Old April 29, 2012, 08:46 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Nice card, but out of my league. Any news yet on 670's or 660's? Also nice to have the worlds fastest card, but can it fold???

p://www.hardfolding.com/fhtag.php/mem/7984290/26/1.png[/IMG][/url]
Old April 29, 2012, 09:18 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I was waiting for the two dual cards before I make up my mind. But Nvidia seems to have made up my mind for me. Charging a $1000.00 price they have just priced them selves out of the market. Don't forget we get to pay GST and PST on top of their idiotic price. So if the AMD comes in at $780 as rumored addition taxes will be lower and I will purchase that card. Thanks for being such jerks Nvidia you are playing the role as always.
Old April 29, 2012, 09:38 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Not to be a downer, but I was honestly hoping for a bit more innovation here. Still having both gpus use their own memory and slapping a SLI bringe "on a chip" in between them? That's the same way they've been doing it for years, and for years I've been waiting for a better way. AMD once teased at something called "sideport" (before that word was recycled into a different meaning) where two cards would be able to communicate directly between eachother - never happened.

C'mon now. Meta wants More! Don't get me wrong though, that's one hell of a damn sexy card. But year after year it seems like the same old formula, and I'm a huge fan of innovation.
Old April 29, 2012, 10:08 AM
Allstar

Looks +10, Best looking card on the market. Of course those with any brains don't buy on looks.

Technology *yawn*. So what else is new. No different than a 590 made from two 580's so beyond the appearance WOW factor, and ungodly price tag worthy of the dot-com boom, what's all the fuss?

Considering all the hype and innuendo I kept hearing surrounding nVidia's new "top card" this is anti-climatctic.
Old April 29, 2012, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoTech View Post
Nice card, but out of my league. Any news yet on 670's or 660's? Also nice to have the worlds fastest card, but can it fold???
I can't find the article but last night I read one stating that the 690 will be on store shelves on May 3rd and they have a reveal happening on May 7th which I assume is the 670.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgf View Post
I was waiting for the two dual cards before I make up my mind. But Nvidia seems to have made up my mind for me. Charging a $1000.00 price they have just priced them selves out of the market. Don't forget we get to pay GST and PST on top of their idiotic price. So if the AMD comes in at $780 as rumored addition taxes will be lower and I will purchase that card. Thanks for being such jerks Nvidia you are playing the role as always.
Really? I don't understand this. They are jerks for charging the same price as 2 580's which will consume less power and make less heat/noise? I mean, I understand that we all want a gtx 690 but the reality is it cost 1k and that is apparently what it is worth, and that is what people will pay. No different then running 2 580's in SLi.
Old April 29, 2012, 02:54 PM
Allstar

Quote:
cost 1k and that is apparently what it is worth, and that is what people will pay
This isn't quite accurate.

They are charging $1000. My guess is their cost is porbably somewhere around $6-700.

What they are worth? Value is not an absolute, but relative. A $1000 video card may be excellent value to someone with a 6 figure salary or needs it to develope the greatest next animated classic. Or it may be extremely poor value for someoen who just want to check mail, read the web, paly an occasional game with average quality settings.

What people will pay depends on their wallets (or their parents wallets), their suceptibility to the "gotta have latest greatest" syndrome, and their definition of value.

Is it a nice card - sure. Is it good quality - undoubtedly. Is it a good value - maybe for the 1% or less (my guess statistic) that can drop $1k on a video card.

I think this is more trying to wring every cent from the hype as they can before the 110's arrive.