Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
Top Prospect

Default Odd Dual GPU Question

I have a HTPC and right now I have am using a GT430 to provide audio and video to my screen and amp. I have a very odd question as I am not sure if it will even work but I am sure someone here knows. I have a 3D TV but my amp uses HDMI 1.3a so in order to use 3D I need an HDMI going to the amp and one going to the TV. I did a quick check and to my surprise I have not found just a HDMI sound card. I know auzentech makes a card that has HDMI out on it but its $200. So my question is could I buy a cheap GPU with HDMI out and send all my audio out that card to my amp and have my GT430 send out video to the 3D TV? Basically have 2 mismatched cards one for audio and one for video, would it work?
Old April 27, 2012, 11:49 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Xonar HDAV1.3

Old April 28, 2012, 12:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes you can do that, but a similar option would be just to use optical audio, that way you won't need a second card if your motherboard has it.
Old April 28, 2012, 09:54 PM
Top Prospect

Optical can't output DTS HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD audio. Thanks WhippWhapp still a bit on the pricey side considering for $30-$40 I can can get a video card with HDMI out.
Old April 29, 2012, 06:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

JohnHenery what sound card using or onboard sound ?

what setting on HT amp set at linear PCM or Dolby bitstream

Last edited by KaptCrunch; April 29, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old April 29, 2012, 07:07 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
JohnHenery what sound card using or onboard sound ?

what setting on HT amp set at linear PCM or Dolby bitstream
Right now I am using the HDMI out from the GT430 for both audio and video.
Old July 9, 2012, 05:26 AM
Top Prospect

It's been a while and sorry to bring up this old post but I thought I would come back and post what I did just in case some one else has this problem as well. You may have to have a graphics card that allows DVI to output audio, like my GT 430 does. I have the DVI going to my amp using a DVI to HDMI cable and the HDMI cable going to my TV all on single GT 430, you can also do it the other way around but it didn't work for me. After that make sure you setup you display as an extended desktop. Now for the 3D settings open Nvidia control panel go to the 3D settings and run the setup. After that all you have to do is enable the 3D resolution when you want to watch 3D content and turn it back to reg 1080p HD when done. That is all you need to do, no several hundred dollar audio card to get the HD Blu-ray sound nor do you need an additional GPU.