Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2012, 12:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
Well I had no problems getting a card on Jan 9th, and it was a non ref 7970, it was dealing with my second card (non ref) that was a prob.
My bro in law had no probs getting a ref design card on launch, and I had ordered a second one for him a few days later with no prob.
So from my experience, it was no difference than the GTX 680 really.
Well considering that was 3 weeks after (Jan9th you say) launch...

And there is a lot more popularity in the GTX series, due to there performance.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 23, 2012, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysisfan11 View Post
I'm just skeptical as to how nvidia will be able to release the lower end 600 cards
Lower end is simple, they will be defective chips from the 680 line, like always when launching new generations. Higher end cards will be an issue.
Old April 23, 2012, 01:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sorry, what do you mean by 3 weeks after? And how can you say the GTX was more popular?
The 7970 launched with no competitor at the time, it very well could have had the same demand as the 680 series.
Old April 23, 2012, 01:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IITSChiefII View Post
Direct Canada got some in this morning they are reporting MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr III OC in stock at the time of this post, not the card Im waiting for but if anyone is interested dont think they will last long.

MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr III OC 1058MHZ 2GB GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E DirectX 11 Video Card - DirectCanada
!!! Thank you! I kind of gave up on directCanada since it seemed as though they weren't going to be stocking 680s for a while. Was so excited to see that it was still in stock I just jumped right for it, haha. Hopefully I won't have any buyer's remorse... oh well. Registered just to thank you for posting that! I'm so pumped right now.
Old April 23, 2012, 01:52 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Actually, I beg to differ. Every one of my retailer contacts has stated that the GTX 680 has ALREADY outsold the HD 7970.

The HD 7970 wasn't a popular card and nonetheless suffered from a lack of availability until about a week before the GTX 680 launch. It was also "launched" in 2011 but wasn't actually put on sale until early 2012. THAT is a paper launch. On that date, every retailer had a few dozen, no more.

Several large retailers had hundreds of GTX 680 cards available at launch. A paper launch that is not...
Old April 23, 2012, 01:56 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Well I had no problems getting a card on Jan 9th, and it was a non ref 7970, it was dealing with my second card (non ref) that was a prob.
My bro in law had no probs getting a ref design card on launch, and I had ordered a second one for him a few days later with no prob.
So from my experience, it was no difference than the GTX 680 really.

/sigh. Ok. Lets make it simple.

The 7970 was released on Dec 21. Not Jan 9th. A paper launch / soft launch is when you can NOT get a card on the day it is released. Not because the retailers sold out but because they didnt get any cards. A three week delay between launch and hitting shelves is a paper launch. The 7970 was a paper launch. It was done for PR. AMD wanted to brag they had their new tech out a "year" before NV.

NV has done paper launches in the past. The 6 series was a hard launch. If you were lucky you COULD buy one as the reailers had stock....not as much as needed but they had stock -and had more coming quickly. Thus it was a hard launch.

Simple concept.

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 23, 2012, 01:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Sorry, what do you mean by 3 weeks after? And how can you say the GTX was more popular?
The 7970 launched with no competitor at the time, it very well could have had the same demand as the 680 series.

AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB Review

NDA Lift 21st of Dec.

You purchased you card on the 9th Of Jan.

And, yeah SKY and AkG said it best.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 23, 2012, 04:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well Sky's review says it was originally set for early Jan, then they brought it in, then put it back to Jan 9th, so does that not mean mean it wasn't a paper launch since really they originally wanted an early Jan release.
Again, my experience was I had no issues finding a reference 7970 upon launch and throughout the launch week. I stopped looking at ref stock at that point since I was strictly looking at non ref designs.

But whatever, who really cares anyway, it's just a GPU, not a big deal if it's a paper launch or not in my eyes.
Old April 23, 2012, 04:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

EVGA just had a notification for the sc version: GTX 680 SC and I got one!!!! BOO YEAAAA

Pretty much F5'd the website every half hour for three days... No I am not desperate. ;)