Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2012, 02:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default AMD dropping support for pre 5000 series cards in new drivers

AMD dropping support for pre 5000 series cards in new drivers

SKYMTL: Article URL changed to the ORIGINAL, correct source that has plenty of weight to back up their claims regarding LINUX drivers.

Last edited by SKYMTL; April 21, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old April 21, 2012, 03:47 PM
Allstar

Considering how many 4000 series cards are still in use (and still in the market channel) that's pretty stupid.
Old April 21, 2012, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Considering how many 4000 series cards are still in use (and still in the market channel) that's pretty stupid.
I don't believe that article. Companies don't drop support that quickly, and a couple 4870s is still a usable 1080P set.

The author likely misunderstood something like they are breaking out the pre- 5X drivers.
Old April 21, 2012, 06:36 PM
Allstar

They did it before. Right before the Win7 launch they dropped support for a trio of "older series" cards. nVidia and Intel have done similar things in their time. A way to try and force sales of new products.
Old April 21, 2012, 08:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This would be a really dick move by AMD.
Coolermaster Cosmos II \\ Intel i5 2500K@4.8ghz \\ Gigabyte PA67 UD7\\ MSI Twin Frozr GTX 680 SLI \\Corsair Vengeance 8GB LP \\ Seasonic Platinum 1000W \\ X-Fi Titanium HD \\ OCZ Vertez 3 120GB \\ RAID 0 Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA6G 64MB \\ Samsung 27" 3D LED Monitor \\ Logitech G5 \\ Logitech G-15 Keyboard \\ Logitech Z-5500 \\ Sennheiser 595 \\ Windows 7 x64
Old April 21, 2012, 08:39 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

That's because the article linked copied another site's article without reading the damn thing.

AMD is dropping LINUX support for legacy cards.....NOT Windows support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I chalk that up to a dick move by a website that can't source their own content rather than any issue on AMD's part.

Article URL changed to the ORIGINAL, correct source that has plenty of weight to back up their claims.
Old April 22, 2012, 12:20 PM
Allstar

It's still a dick move. Lots of people use Linux, and lots of people use Linux AND windows on the same machine and can't be switching hardware. It will also likely end up happening to the Windows side as well not long after (as it did with previous cards when they did this the last time before the win7 launch).

Not everyone can afford to upgrade hardware every 3 years, nor is it truly necessary unless you are living on the technology bleeding edge (literally in the case of your wallet). An HD4870 (let alone 4870x2, 4890 ...) is not even 4 years old, still runs all mainstream apps with excellent performance and even does fairly well in most games. To discontinue support abruptly , and at this time is, imho inappropriate and looks suspiciously more like a move planned to try and force upgrades ratehr than any resources saving by AMD/ATI.

I think they may lose some otherwise loyal customers over this.
Old April 22, 2012, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Given the traditionally poor Linux support AMD/ATI has given over the years I wouldn't say there's much love lost from this move. Most serious Linux users (except for in the past few years) are exclusively Nvidia.
Old April 22, 2012, 05:08 PM
Allstar

Actually ATI/AMD are better *supporters* than nVidia. nVidia will not absolutely refuses to provide andy specs or opensource any aprt of their drivers. they are all closed source binaries. ATI on the other hand have provided specs and opensoruce code and have helped somewhat with the open source drivers. nVidia's open source drivers (nouveau) had to be reverse engineered because nVidia wouldn't help.

So I wouldn't say the support has been traditionally poor. I've had ATI cards running under Linux and BSD and other non-Windows systems since the early 90's and have ahd no problems with them at all. They haven't always been as fast or as feature rich as some might like, but the same is true for nVidia's.

This won't scare off less volatile users but it will create some bad feelings.
Old April 22, 2012, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
It's still a dick move. Lots of people use Linux, and lots of people use Linux AND windows on the same machine and can't be switching hardware. It will also likely end up happening to the Windows side as well not long after (as it did with previous cards when they did this the last time before the win7 launch).

Not everyone can afford to upgrade hardware every 3 years, nor is it truly necessary unless you are living on the technology bleeding edge (literally in the case of your wallet). An HD4870 (let alone 4870x2, 4890 ...) is not even 4 years old, still runs all mainstream apps with excellent performance and even does fairly well in most games. To discontinue support abruptly , and at this time is, imho inappropriate and looks suspiciously more like a move planned to try and force upgrades ratehr than any resources saving by AMD/ATI.

I think they may lose some otherwise loyal customers over this.
It's like I told a guy on NV forums when he was saying the drivers weren't well optimized for his 7 year old game I had never heard of- progamming costs money and companies have to do cost benefit analysis of their labor all the time.

Like I thought, a misunderstanding for 95%+ of their users.

I don't see this as a big deal.