Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Third monitor

I currently have 1 4890 card in my rig. But I finally got around to fixing my main 2nd monitor, I have 2 secondary monitors, 1 17 which I replaced with a 20 inch NEC, NEC blew a cap so while I fixed that I used the 17 again. Thing is. I now like the idea of three monitors over just the 2 I had been using. Should also say my main main monitor is a 22 inch.

So since my card only has 2 DVI ports I cant use my third (which happens to be VGA anyway), I was wondering what my options are and which of the following scenarios make any sense at all.

1) buy a cheap rubbish AMD card just to use a slave for its ports.

2) Buy the new top of the line AMD card and do some sort of frankinstien hybrid crossfire

3) Buy the new top of the line nVidia card and do some sort of freakish frankinstiend hybrid crossfire sli (I have a theory this would destroy the universe if tried)

4) Buy the new top of the line nVidia card and use the 4890 as a slave for its ports.
Old April 20, 2012, 09:50 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

1) Yes if you're on a budget this should work.

2) Yes you get a great performing card and you're fairly future proofed but don't xfire it with your 4890 since it won't work(or at least shouldn't). Even if you got it to work it's not worth it.

3) Again it's not worth it to combine it with your 4890 and also not possible unless you have a certain type of motherboard. Also no you won't destroy the universe by running Crossli/SliFire since the MSI Big Bang Fuzion motherboard allows you to do it.

4)If by top of the line you mean a 680 then I believe those cards support up to 4 monitors(3 in surround) on one card like AMD's Eyefinity.

My opinion I would probably say spring for a GTX 680 that way you're future proofed and you're able to run 3 montiors not saying there's nothing wrong with keeping the 4890 but with the power it uses it's not worth keeping it with a new top of the line card.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old April 21, 2012, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks, I sadly hadnt really planned on upgraded the gpu until the fall so I may be forced just to try to find a cheap card to hold me over.

I had heard rumors about the sli/crossfire possibilities a few years ago, liquid something or other glad to see that that is actually happening now.
Old April 21, 2012, 03:15 PM
Rookie

craigslist a card and call it a day. then when you upgrade in the fall you will really notice the difference in noise and temps :)