Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2012, 03:11 PM
Rookie

Default $549 laptop video card question

I hardly ever walk into The Source because of insanely high prices. But, I happen to see the HP Pavilion G6-1D40CA laptop in one of their Toronto stores. $549 (even less at other Canadian online retailers).

HP Pavilion g6-1d40ca Entertainment Laptop PC | Laptops - English | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

The XT version of the AMD Radeon 7690M is in this unit. In the specs, it says 2GB of dedicated video memory.

Then, I read this at Notebookcheck.net:

"The 3D Performance of the HD 7690M is slightly better than the average GT 550M."

How can a laptop that costs $549 have a graphics card that's equivalent to an NVidia GT 550M, has 2 GB Ram, and dedicated no less? Isn't there something wrong with this picture, or is there something I'm not realizing about this machine performance-wise?

edit: something definitely IS wrong. Check HP's own product page and look at the graphics specs.

HP Pavilion g6-1d40ca Notebook PC (A7H16UA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office Products

"AMD Radeon HD 6480G Discrete-Class (up to 1.98 GB total memory)"

No mention at all of a 7690M XT, even as an option as far as I can see.

Last edited by shokan; April 20, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old April 20, 2012, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Its just an apu with the upgraded graphics in a crossfire like atmospherr
Old April 20, 2012, 03:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Its just an apu with the upgraded graphics in a crossfire like atmospherr
Sorry, what does that mean?
Old April 20, 2012, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Doesn't seem that surprising. I bought a similar Acer over a year and a half ago with a 420m for $550.
Old April 20, 2012, 04:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Doesn't seem that surprising. I bought a similar Acer over a year and a half ago with a 420m for $550.
But isn't discrete graphics something you'd normally see on a laptop that's much more expensive, especially with 2GB RAM?
Old April 20, 2012, 04:21 PM
Allstar

It's "up to" 2GB of ram. It depends how much memory is in the machine to start with.
Old April 20, 2012, 04:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
It's "up to" 2GB of ram. It depends how much memory is in the machine to start with.
OK, being a "rookie", I guess my real question is: for 3D graphics performance, is this one any better than others in this same price range? The specs details are in my first post.
Old April 20, 2012, 04:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've seen BestBuy etc., mislabel specs before, but even if it is right, that's not too surprising. The 550m and its competitors are the midrange cards.. And the fact its an HP would explain that a bit. Their products are junky, and supposedly they were getting out of the consumer market, so they might just be trying to move their stock quicker.
Old April 20, 2012, 04:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokan View Post
But isn't discrete graphics something you'd normally see on a laptop that's much more expensive, especially with 2GB RAM?
Not so much anymore. A lot of mid-range laptops like this come with some low-end GPUs. They're good enough for light-moderate gaming and perform reasonably well, but they're no 560Ms or anything like that. The amount of RAM on a video card means nothing really to its performance in this case.

I don't think you're going to find anything better in that price range, but personally, I would never buy an HP despite a low price.
Old April 20, 2012, 04:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Not so much anymore. A lot of mid-range laptops like this come with some low-end GPUs. They're good enough for light-moderate gaming and perform reasonably well, but they're no 560Ms or anything like that. The amount of RAM on a video card means nothing really to its performance in this case.

I don't think you're going to find anything better in that price range, but personally, I would never buy an HP despite a low price.
Thanks, that's what I need to know, on both points. For $549, I might do it. Even after an HP desktop that's caused me a lot of headaches.