Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2012, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm looks like you're right though, thesource is the only place listing it with that video card. This is something comparable though - Canada Computers | Notebooks, Netbooks & Tablets | Acer Aspire TimeLineX AS5830TG-6626, Notebook (Blue) - Intel Core i3-2330M (Dual-Core, 2.20GHz), 15.6" HD (1366x768) LED-backlit, 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 1GB, DVD-writer, Intel 802
Old April 20, 2012, 05:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
How would I know before I buy if this is one of the TimelineX models that have the CPU throttled? Some do, some don't, I've been told.

I'm going back to Dufferin Mall and have the sales guy look up the hardware on the floor model of the HP tomorrow and see if it really is the HD 7690M XT.
Old April 20, 2012, 05:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I actually bought that the 13.3" version. Got it from Staples for less than $500, what a steal that was!

From what I understand the throttling issue is actually a design flaw and not a problem of some units being throttled. The i3 throttles itself at a certain temperature and the heatsink design for this unit was causing that temperature to be reached really easily. I personally haven't experienced the throttling but I also don't game on it for long periods of time. (It's being used as my HTPC right now).

Now I haven't read as much about the 15 incher as the heatsink would have more room to breath I would think.

Here's a MASSIVE (375 pages) discussion about fixes for the throttling and also how to add pennies to add to the heat sinkability.
Acer TimelineX 3830/4830/5830 T/G

That being said if the 15 incher is similar to my 13 incher I can recommend it. They're tight little units.
Old April 20, 2012, 05:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I actually bought that the 13.3" version. Got it from Staples for less than $500, what a steal that was!

From what I understand the throttling issue is actually a design flaw and not a problem of some units being throttled. The i3 throttles itself at a certain temperature and the heatsink design for this unit was causing that temperature to be reached really easily. I personally haven't experienced the throttling but I also don't game on it for long periods of time. (It's being used as my HTPC right now).

Now I haven't read as much about the 15 incher as the heatsink would have more room to breath I would think.

Here's a MASSIVE (375 pages) discussion about fixes for the throttling and also how to add pennies to add to the heat sinkability.
Acer TimelineX 3830/4830/5830 T/G

That being said if the 15 incher is similar to my 13 incher I can recommend it. They're tight little units.
I'm at a disadvantage because I'm no expert with tech. I'm actually looking for a unit that will do passable light 3D content-creation, no gaming. Obviously, a $3000 machine is what I need for the full monte, but really, I'm looking for something that would be considered a bargain in both the CPU and dedicated graphics card department in the $500-$700 range. TimelineX has been right up there on my list for a month.

Interesting what you say about how that throttling issue ocmes about. There's always ThrottleStop, I guess. I don't want to fry the thing, though, or set y pants on fire.
Old April 20, 2012, 09:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If the throttling is due to poor cooling, a decent laptop cooler could probably alleviate the issue if you had a model that overheated. I have an i3 in my laptop, seldom does it get over 70 even with the 420m running for hours.