Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2012, 09:14 AM
Top Prospect

Default Windows Experience Index - Performance?

Hi all, I have a question about what is shown in Windows Experience Index and how the performance actually will be.

I ask because a laptop I'll probably buy has the GT 630M GPU where as my brother's laptop has the "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650" and an "AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250".

According to notebookcheck.com, the GT 630M performs better in games than the ATI solution described above but Windows Experience Index (in the store) rates the GT 630M at 5,8 (though notebookcheck.com says 6,1 avg..?) for gaming and the ATI solution on my brother's pc at 6,7 for gaming.

The GT 540M is rated at 6,5 for gaming on notebookcheck.com though it seems very similar to the GT 630M in their tests.

So which is better? How much can you really count on Windows Experience Index? Thanks in advance

Edit: If you need a type of games to compare them, I'm looking forward to Diablo 3 and play games like League of Legends, Starcraft 2, Dawn of War 2. But especially Diablo 3.

Last edited by Marute; April 20, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old April 20, 2012, 09:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You can't rely on WEI at all. Not going to get into the details much about it, other then it's one of the worst "benchmarking" programs/software out there. I believe Microsoft introduced it so that big box stores (and pre-made systems) had a way of toting whose/what system is better with their bloatware installed on it.
Old April 20, 2012, 11:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i5/630M, like I have told you on 2 other threads about the same thing... It is a combination of the i5/630 that is quicker then the other cards you mentioned, yes one or two of the other GPU's are faster, but the i5 is upping the FPS to,not just the GPU.
Old April 20, 2012, 11:53 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
i5/630M, like I have told you on 2 other threads about the same thing... It is a combination of the i5/630 that is quicker then the other cards you mentioned, yes one or two of the other GPU's are faster, but the i5 is upping the FPS to,not just the GPU.
Ya, I know that I've made my fair share of the posts on this topic. This, though, was thought more as a question about the WEI as I know very little about it.

I've made the threads I've made because of the changing offers I've found and then I thought something would fit better elsewhere and so on.

But I now know just about what I need to know and I thank you and everyone else who has helped me for your patience and thorough answers!
Old April 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can't verify if the source is any good but here's the longest writeup I found on the WEI:
Tech ARP - An Inside Look Into The New Windows 7 Experience Index!

Another explanation direct from MS blogs:
Windows 7: Engineering the Windows 7
Windows Vista (you'll have to highlight to read the text as the text is the same colour as the background): Windows Experience Index: An In-Depth Look

In any case, you can learn as much as you like about WEI but it still doesn't change the fact that WEI means nothing for actual use. Pretend WEI doesn't exist and you can save "processing" time on your brain for more important things