Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2012, 03:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ok maybe i wont get 460's but that still doesnt change the fact that companys piss me off when they just make a worse card than last gen in the new gen. Why not just have an upward climb and just make the next card better than the previous. I guess they are just trying to make more money.
Old April 10, 2012, 04:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenger View Post
ok maybe i wont get 460's but that still doesnt change the fact that companys piss me off when they just make a worse card than last gen in the new gen. Why not just have an upward climb and just make the next card better than the previous. I guess they are just trying to make more money.
As said before, you're comparing a 560Ti (mid-range) to a 480 (top-end). It's simply not fair. You need to compare the same class of cards between generations.

Your 560Ti is quite a bit faster than the former GTX460 for example, matching the GTX470 in most cases.

The GTX580 was a fair bit faster and more efficient than the GTX480. Likewise the GTX680 is faster and more efficient than the GTX580.
Old April 10, 2012, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Because they make more improvements than just speed, a gtx 570 is approximately the same speed as the gtx 480. However the 570 is more efficient, quieter, runs cooler, and gives better tesselation performance.

Graphics cards aren't all about which one pumps out the most frames for everyone. Folders for example look for best points/dollar/efficiency because running a 480 for a year is going to cost you more than running a 570 for a year even if you end up getting similar points.

As a matter of fact if someone offered me a GTX 480 for my GTX 560 ti I would turn them down.
Old April 10, 2012, 07:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Or trying to lose less.

Think of it in terms of price brackets. Within a given price bracket (say $200-225) the new card is better than the old card. Historically, that "better" is improved graphics performance, recently it's been graphics performance plus efficiency, or general purpose computing plus efficiency.

Either way, you're getting more for your money with each generation. If companies restricted themselves to producing only new cards which were better than their best old card, the lower ends of the market wouldn't be served. After all, they can only discount the old flagship card so far before they're losing money.
Old April 10, 2012, 09:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I had the GTX480 w/ Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II running cool & quiet -- temps maxed out @ 62C under full load. Great card and yes very strong performance and still capable of playing the latest games at high resolutions.

I recently picked up the 1st batch of initial launched Keplar and must say I really love the new card but hell it cost alot more. Wife now has the GTX480 in her own i2600K system (my hand me downs)...

If you can cool the GTX480 its a great card, if you can pick one up for cheap then I would go that route if on a tight budget.