RMA: 6950 2gb vs 5870/6950 1gb
I RMAed my video card and the XFX folks are giving me two options for a replacement.
The standard replacement for a 5870 is a 6950, but they're out of stock at the moment (1-2 week delay).
They're offering me an upgrade to a 6950 2GB (HD-695X-CNFC) for $30.
Edit: In the mean time, I've picked up a 580 and am using that in my rig.
I'd go with the extra vRam if you play at 1080p or higher resolution as some games on high settings can eat more then 1GB of vRAM.
Yup HD 6950 is a no brainer in IMO.
I forgot to mention that I got a gtx 580 right after i broke the 5870.
If i were in your position, I would just get the 6950 2gb for $30 and sell it (~190-200), help eat some of the cost from your 580.
xilocient I'm new here. I just joined because I was searching on this subject. I too just recently RMA'd a XFX 5870 2gb and they sent me a 6950. It seems a little slow to me. So I ran a 3D Mark evaluation on it and only got a total combined (cpu+gpu) score of 14,218 while getting 20,506 with my remaining 5870. (i had two 5870's in Crossfire)
I've complained about the 6950's poor performance and their only response so far is to link me to the tests done at Anadtech where they compared the 5870 vs the 6950..Since this is my first post..I wasn't permitted to include the link.
I've responded twice now, that no matter what the "original" tests might show as appear at ANADTECH, the problem is that "this particular" 6950 is "slow".
So far I've made no progress. Each time I comment they just take more and more days to respond. Meaning so far they're not concerned.
Have you run a 3D Mark on your 6950? The graphics alone score in my testing was 12,588 for the 6950 and 19,695 for the 5870 in my test. And btw the 3D Mark test results commented that these particular 6950 scores were much lower than they would expect..They, 3D Mark, thought it should be much closer to the 5870 score?
Unless I've somehow installed all this wrong or? whatever and its me..a possibility..it seems there's something wrong with the specific gpu they sent me.
So far they're not budging haha.
So we'll see.
I actually just got my 6950 (2gb, non-ref)a few mins ago. I'm not planning on opening it and was planning on selling it. Let me know if you're interested.
About the 3d mark scores, I wouldn't worry about them too much. I think XFX was refering to the "real world" gaming performance where the 5870 and the 6950 are essentially identical, with the 6950 edging slightly ahead.
sell it as BNIB with warranty(with your assistance), should recoup most of your funds to buy that 580.
That's the plan. The buyer actually shouldn't need my help since my original 5870 was under double lifetime warranty.
Afterall i didn't run the 3D Mark test until I became suspicious about what I perceived in my own real world gaming that this actual 6950 was performing poorly. And so I performed the test. Doesn't that seem like the logical next step? And the test validated my hypothesis. Even 3D Mark stated in the test results that this specific unit should be at about a score of 19,500( I guess that means other tested 6950 have scored at 19,500(combined cpu/gpu)(my combined cpu/gpu score was over 20,000 with my 5870) but as I said earlier this 6950 is actually testing at only about 14,500. Even more evidence that there's something wrong with the unit.
I never argued with XFX about their claims as to what card performed better/worse etc. That's not my business or objective. My complaint is that this specific card performs much lower than the card they're replacing under warranty. And the warranty..if I understand correctly.. in general states that they'll either fix my 5870 or replace it with something of comparable functionality. And from where I sit they haven't done it yet.
I think they should take back this card and send me another. Or somehow look into it. And they think they should just dismiss my observations and testing . And of course i don't agree with that.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:16 AM.|