Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2012, 06:37 PM
Top Prospect

Default OC'ing gtx 680.. not working

Hey guys, got my gtx 680s today.

By default on afterburner and precision, the cards are on 705mhz, overclocking them seem to have no effect.
Attached Images

Old March 29, 2012, 06:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Could be on the verge of insability, try 1000MHz and try again.
Old March 29, 2012, 07:58 PM
Top Prospect

hmm does this look normal?
Attached Images

Old March 29, 2012, 09:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

have never done xtreme one, try a performance one.
Old March 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
Top Prospect

K i think i figured out the problem, I downloaded the newest version of evga precision, called precision X, and it seems to be able to handle the gtx680's base/boost clocks correctly.

I will take the time to do the benchmarks tomorrow.
Old March 29, 2012, 09:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasko View Post
K i think i figured out the problem, I downloaded the newest version of evga precision, called precision X, and it seems to be able to handle the gtx680's base/boost clocks correctly.

I will take the time to do the benchmarks tomorrow.
Was just going to mention this. You need the updated versions of OC'ing software for Kepler cards. I don't believe MSI or the others have released theirs yet though. Stick with the EVGA software for now.
Old March 29, 2012, 09:44 PM
Top Prospect

MSI has a new beta for the afterburner which was used to OC in some of the reviews, I tried to install it but it wouldn't run properly

This EVGA precision X looks pretty nice i think I will like it better than afterburner, although I really despise the design on these programs. I wish they just had simpler, more minimalistic skins (save space on my secondary monitor)
Old March 30, 2012, 12:04 AM
Banned

As it is, MOST of the reviews i read said that oc'in will be limited on these cards cause of the gpu boost + apparent limits in the core's itselves. As 1 of the reviewers noted that even extra volted + clock past 1 ghz actualy made preformance go backwards which if its occuring more then once isnt going to make any team green fans happy. Especialy if your looking for gpu oc'in & the reports of 7970's hittin 1.3 ghz on there gpu's.
Old March 30, 2012, 01:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well to be blunt IF they could have sold them at 1100 core clocks WITH stability they would have. I know my buddy just go an ASUS one, and he can get his clocked to 1185 on the core with memory 6190 HOWEVER it took ALOT of messing around to get it there, and he does have an extremely well cooled case. They may have ECC built into the core as the gpu boost cannot be turned off, it needs some mods to allow a higher ceiling after all it apprently looks at power/temps among other things. So if all the eggs do not want to go into the basket, not much can force them to go there.

It would be nice for review companies to test quite a few models and show the average clock for core/memory, temps, power etc so the consumer can expect a certain level of clocking and such. I know my 6870 has voltage tweak, however, I and MANY others simply cannot get it to work, mainly cause the values are not added to the Vreg chip to allow it to adjust its voltage +/- anything but the default.

AMD might have scored some really good chips, OR Nvidia might have JUST been able to market these as 680s for various reasons, cause do not forget, the current core was meant to be 660/670 last I heard, it got pushed as 680. It might be they did not get much binning done, something AMD apprently has been able to do cause it seems the 7700-7900 are all GCN which probably allowed them to do ALOT of binning.

I did read read early on Kepler was having a hell of a time to get high clocks at suitable power levels/heat so this might be one of the reasons, just able to make thier clocsk. They also did change rather suddenly from having differential clocks on shaders to having the core/shaders united(maybe they had to and not by choice) Maybe the reviewers cards were "cherry picked" as Nvidia or the others knew they were a "good sample" just to step on AMD parade, who knows, they would certainly not inform US the consumers of this or they would lose reviwer ability maybe even face lawsuits.

Maybe its just a bios issue that certain values are not being fed correctly.