Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2012, 09:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlef View Post
This doesnt really suprise me, but strategically going forward i think its a mistake.
AMD right now has an opportunity to capitalize on nVidia's stock issues just as they did with early addopters of this generation.
By keeping the price high, they are giving consumers an option to wait, rather then drop the price modestly, and give more incentive to consumers to purchase.
They opted for higher margin, and i think this is going to come back and bite them in the ass.

I said that exact thing before Kepler launched.
Lets see how true to water it is.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 29, 2012, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I assumed price cuts would come very soon after the 680 release, but I never thought about the 680 availability problem. As a business it makes perfect sense for AMD to keep prices where they are until availability stabilizes.
Old March 29, 2012, 11:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
NCIX online stock count totally lied to me. I bought a 680 about an hour after they came out and it said they have 8 in stock... Today I got an email saying "we have some galaxy 680s" coming in soon, if you want, we can send you those since we are out of stock on the MSI 680s..... Ummm wtf? D:

Seriously though, how did ATI suddenly get a huge swell of stock like that!?
NCIX is a bit odd at times. I ordered about as quickly as you did with the difference being for pickup in the Markham warehouse and received a notice the following day on the Friday that they were out of cards, but when I called to speak to them in person they said I did in fact order in time and could come pick it up.

The GTX 680 4GB versions are going to likely command a $50 price increase and put them at the exact price of the 7970. AMD could be anticipating this, but I'm not sure such a scenario is really in their favour regardless...

Old March 29, 2012, 05:55 PM
Rookie

idiotic not to lower prices, who is buying this when they can buy a FASTER card for cheaper
Old April 1, 2012, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneil99 View Post
idiotic not to lower prices, who is buying this when they can buy a FASTER card for cheaper
Please tell me what cheaper and faster card you can buy? I do not see anything I can buy that is faster and cheaper than the 7970

That is EXACTLY why ATI is not going to lower prices... why lower prices to compete with a product that can't be bought (out of stock)?
Old April 10, 2012, 12:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Looks like those price cuts are here after all. Call 'em sale prices if you want but every 7970 is on sale with $519.99 CAD at the bottom end.
Old April 10, 2012, 06:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

7970 will be $500 and 680 will be $550 soon