Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2012, 12:50 PM
Rookie

Default Multi-Monitor Performance Decreases

TL;DR - What are the numbers (fps drops, percentage performance drops) in regards to adding a monitor to a video card? Not gaming on all of them, but just having multiple monitors running when it comes to gaming performance. All resolutions would be >= 1920x1080.

Hello,

I've been trying to get a better grasp lately on how monitors affect performance from a numbers perspective. I game on one monitor and have no plans of changing that until the prices of bezel-less triple monitor setups drop, however I do run multiple monitors.

What kind of gaming performance decreases (in terms of numbers; percentages, fps) does adding a monitor to a video card have? Currently I am running 3 monitors with two 6850's, but I am likely going to be dropping one of the 6850's for a 7000 series card. I can't decide whether I need to get a 79xx or if a 78xx will suffice. In terms of performance, the benches I see show me a 7850 would play games at full with an acceptable frame rate at 1920x1080 (30-60FPS), but I feel like I need to get a 7950 if I am going to eventually have 4 monitors running off the card. My interest is in: how does that change when I add more monitors even if they aren't being used to play on?

I'm currently prospecting 4 more monitors into my setup for a total of 7. 3 on a 6850 and then 4 on a 7000 series card. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Old March 25, 2012, 12:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Unless you are gaming on those monitors, it doesn't really adversely effect your frame rates for your game seeing as the card is rendering for the 1920 x 1080 resolution. Any extra/extended monitors are just there taking up little to know processing and video ram power.

Only when you game across the 3 monitors do the cards take a performance hit.
Old March 25, 2012, 01:26 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply! So you think I can save some money and get a 78xx, run my 7+ monitors on it (and a 6850) and still get my 30-60FPS on ultra settings BF3 1920x1080? My wallet would love this option. ;) Do you think my route for this makes sense for adding more monitors?
Old March 25, 2012, 01:36 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmata View Post
run my 7+ monitors on it

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old March 25, 2012, 02:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
What can I say? I like my screen real estate and I like being able to have lots of information at my fingertips without have to close my game! :P Once they release a cost-effective bezel-less triple monitor setup I will be up to 10 monitors. :D

Anyone else have any input/numbers on how performance is impacted by adding monitors?
Old March 25, 2012, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply! So you think I can save some money and get a 78xx, run my 7+ monitors on it (and a 6850) and still get my 30-60FPS on ultra settings BF3 1920x1080? My wallet would love this option. ;) Do you think my route for this makes sense for adding more monitors?
You can't run a 78xx and 6850 is crossfire (has to be the same generation).
Old March 25, 2012, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
What can I say? I like my screen real estate and I like being able to have lots of information at my fingertips without have to close my game! :P Once they release a cost-effective bezel-less triple monitor setup I will be up to 10 monitors. :D

Anyone else have any input/numbers on how performance is impacted by adding monitors?
There isn't because it doesn't.

There is no impact at all when you run multiple monitors even if one is dedicated as a gaming monitor.

Monitors that are just at the desktop require almost zilch for gpu processing.
Old March 25, 2012, 02:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
You can't run a 78xx and 6850 is crossfire (has to be the same generation).
I never said I was going to crossfire them, did I? Well aware how crossfire works. ;) You definitely CAN run two GPU's in one rig which is what I intend to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
There isn't because it doesn't.

There is no impact at all when you run multiple monitors even if one is dedicated as a gaming monitor.

Monitors that are just at the desktop require almost zilch for gpu processing.
Thanks so much!