Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 12:50 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Default Multi-Monitor Performance Decreases

TL;DR - What are the numbers (fps drops, percentage performance drops) in regards to adding a monitor to a video card? Not gaming on all of them, but just having multiple monitors running when it comes to gaming performance. All resolutions would be >= 1920x1080.

Hello,

I've been trying to get a better grasp lately on how monitors affect performance from a numbers perspective. I game on one monitor and have no plans of changing that until the prices of bezel-less triple monitor setups drop, however I do run multiple monitors.

What kind of gaming performance decreases (in terms of numbers; percentages, fps) does adding a monitor to a video card have? Currently I am running 3 monitors with two 6850's, but I am likely going to be dropping one of the 6850's for a 7000 series card. I can't decide whether I need to get a 79xx or if a 78xx will suffice. In terms of performance, the benches I see show me a 7850 would play games at full with an acceptable frame rate at 1920x1080 (30-60FPS), but I feel like I need to get a 7950 if I am going to eventually have 4 monitors running off the card. My interest is in: how does that change when I add more monitors even if they aren't being used to play on?

I'm currently prospecting 4 more monitors into my setup for a total of 7. 3 on a 6850 and then 4 on a 7000 series card. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 12:59 PM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,584

My System Specs

Default

Unless you are gaming on those monitors, it doesn't really adversely effect your frame rates for your game seeing as the card is rendering for the 1920 x 1080 resolution. Any extra/extended monitors are just there taking up little to know processing and video ram power.

Only when you game across the 3 monitors do the cards take a performance hit.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 01:26 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks for the quick reply! So you think I can save some money and get a 78xx, run my 7+ monitors on it (and a 6850) and still get my 30-60FPS on ultra settings BF3 1920x1080? My wallet would love this option. ;) Do you think my route for this makes sense for adding more monitors?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 01:36 PM
Mena's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hanover, Ontario
Posts: 459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmata View Post
run my 7+ monitors on it
__________________
I am watching you.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 02:26 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
What can I say? I like my screen real estate and I like being able to have lots of information at my fingertips without have to close my game! :P Once they release a cost-effective bezel-less triple monitor setup I will be up to 10 monitors. :D


Anyone else have any input/numbers on how performance is impacted by adding monitors?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,861

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmata View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! So you think I can save some money and get a 78xx, run my 7+ monitors on it (and a 6850) and still get my 30-60FPS on ultra settings BF3 1920x1080? My wallet would love this option. ;) Do you think my route for this makes sense for adding more monitors?
You can't run a 78xx and 6850 is crossfire (has to be the same generation).
__________________
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, MSI Cyclone GTX 460, Seasonic S12II 500W, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 02:35 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmata View Post
What can I say? I like my screen real estate and I like being able to have lots of information at my fingertips without have to close my game! :P Once they release a cost-effective bezel-less triple monitor setup I will be up to 10 monitors. :D


Anyone else have any input/numbers on how performance is impacted by adding monitors?
There isn't because it doesn't.

There is no impact at all when you run multiple monitors even if one is dedicated as a gaming monitor.

Monitors that are just at the desktop require almost zilch for gpu processing.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 02:45 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
You can't run a 78xx and 6850 is crossfire (has to be the same generation).
I never said I was going to crossfire them, did I? Well aware how crossfire works. ;) You definitely CAN run two GPU's in one rig which is what I intend to do.




Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
There isn't because it doesn't.

There is no impact at all when you run multiple monitors even if one is dedicated as a gaming monitor.

Monitors that are just at the desktop require almost zilch for gpu processing.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One Big tv or multi monitor fishingfanatic Display Units 5 November 29, 2011 10:25 PM
Multi Monitor Span & Clone enaberif Video Cards 2 May 3, 2011 05:38 PM
Multi-Monitor Gaming Arinoth Display Units 12 November 30, 2010 10:09 AM
Crossfire Multi-monitor setup? nzorov Video Cards 4 April 16, 2010 08:33 AM
New Nvidia Drivers / SLI Multi Monitor + SLI on X58 - 180.48 probationer O/S's, Drivers & General Software 14 November 26, 2008 08:40 AM