Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
View Poll Results: Will my Phenom II X4 945 3GHz bottleneck a GTX 680?
Yes, a lot 12 36.36%
slightly. overclock your cpu and you'll be fine 12 36.36%
No it won't 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old March 27, 2012, 05:43 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 30

My System Specs

Default

I would invest in a new CPU/mobo that won't bottleneck current GPUs then wait for this generation of video cards to drop in price.

No point in jumping on a 680 so soon after a release when you don't have the rig to support it. By the time you might get around to upgrading the rest of your system the 680 will have probably dropped in price.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old March 27, 2012, 06:00 PM
ern88's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 302

My System Specs

Default

I wish I hadn't voted "Yes alot". I think You will be fine. You may not use the GPU to its full 100% potential and only use 80-90%. But It will make a much more better improvement then the card you have now!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old March 27, 2012, 11:36 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 427

My System Specs

Default

I'd say handle that 570 with care while switching to a i5-2500k and suitable MB, they are not all that expensive and the i5 will last a good while if need be, and you could get a good MB for just over $100+tax for sure

Edit: for the price of a 680, I would get an i5-2500k on sale somewhere
a 8x/8x MB like this or equivalent on sale
Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

so that $220+$150, then get a 2nd hand 570 for about the same total $$$ as 680

thats basically how I went from x4 955 +6950 rig to an i5 and a 6950 CF, and I sold my x4+AM3
__________________
i7 2700k - 7950 3GB crossfire - 4GB 1866 CL8 - 1600p

Last edited by TedShackley; March 27, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old March 29, 2012, 07:01 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Coquitlam
Posts: 23
Default

Where do you live, I can sell my i7 930 to you, shouldn;t be a bottleneck
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2012, 04:18 PM
Killswitch's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Posts: 839

My System Specs

Default

Overclock that 945 to 3.6~3.7GHz. It shouldn't have any problems getting up there. I think you'll be good to go.

I had a 940 (original ddr2 version) that did 3.7GHz no prob.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worth upgrading to SB from my E8400??? ern88 CPU's and Motherboards 33 April 6, 2011 06:16 PM
Worth upgrading? or wait it out? ezytgr New Builds 8 March 28, 2011 07:51 AM
Worth Upgrading From Audigy 2 ZS? Berlusconi Audio 14 November 19, 2010 07:29 AM
Firefox 3.6. Is it worth upgrading? GMJim O/S's, Drivers & General Software 15 March 5, 2010 01:25 PM
Is it worth Upgrading to 8gb of ram jasonmoreau RAM 12 April 11, 2008 12:55 AM