Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2012, 12:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the thorough review Sky!

Just as I was in the process of building an SB-E rig, Nvidia comes through with a card that supports multi-monitors

Can't wait to see what else they have coming down the pipeline on the "high end"
Old March 22, 2012, 01:21 PM
MVP

Hmmm....not very impressive I must say. Sure it is a little faster but honestly I expected more. I see a 690 in the near future.....

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old March 22, 2012, 01:33 PM
Allstar

Nice review! Nice technology development on nVidia's part. Not sure it's enough to clobber the 7970 in the amrketplace (except among nvidia fans) but it's definitely a move in the right direction. Memory bandwidth could be higher, the 256bit is a bit of a surprise, as is only 2GB memory for a card that can support 4 monitors. Still, looks like a winner for nVidia.

Now if only the prices will come down to earth. :)
Old March 22, 2012, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I did a 3dmark11 and Unigene benchmark and looks like I will loose about 11-19% performance. I am on the fence and the card is in the cart.

I am thinking I could pick one up and then another one down the road. Or I could wait till the 780 comes out and get 2 right away....

There are only a few games that I play that could use the extra performance and those all I need to do is turn the graphics slightly down. If I go with the 680 I will loose performance. So after thinking for awhile I think I will hold onto my 480's as the are water cooled and dam quiet.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 22, 2012, 02:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
Hmmm....not very impressive I must say. Sure it is a little faster but honestly I expected more. I see a 690 in the near future.....
They Beat there previous generation by 34%...you've gotta be kidding me right? And did it under 200W TDP..

This round goes to nVIdia.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 22, 2012, 02:44 PM
Allstar

Looks liek they won't eb any easier to obtain than 7970's. I went to NCIX's video card apge and only 2 brand showed "In Stock" (MSI and Zotac). Ibroght up the two individual product pages and in that shiort period they were both listed as back ordered.

This "instant rebate" is a bit of a farce IMHO. If the manufacturer says the card is going to be a $500 product, that should be BEFORE rebates, discounts etc. Talk about price gouging. I love the technology but the marketing in IT sucks.
Old March 22, 2012, 02:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

that is all.
Old March 22, 2012, 02:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Looks liek they won't eb any easier to obtain than 7970's. I went to NCIX's video card apge and only 2 brand showed "In Stock" (MSI and Zotac). Ibroght up the two individual product pages and in that shiort period they were both listed as back ordered.

This "instant rebate" is a bit of a farce IMHO. If the manufacturer says the card is going to be a $500 product, that should be BEFORE rebates, discounts etc. Talk about price gouging. I love the technology but the marketing in IT sucks.
We have a ton in at memory express.
Old March 22, 2012, 03:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tianfeng View Post
We have a ton in at memory express.
And yet it doesn't show up on your site...
Old March 22, 2012, 03:10 PM
Rookie

Much better generation then GTX580/HD6970. That GTX680 Bandwidth Limit Shows once you start to OC it. It does not scale as well as HD 7970.