Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2012, 04:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
You know, i am for the most part a loyalist to the red camp but still open minded. BUT when someone whom is a adamant nvidia fanboy ALSO thinks something smells rotten in denmark I think that tells you something.

I agree with the thought/theory that this is a band aid/cash grab move by nvidia vs amd. A Ti version of this with the compute cores will come out, push the 680 cheaper to as sugested price.

The ONLY win here is there own fixing of the 1 thing like I said thats ALWAYS been there problem ... heat/wattage. Only taken them how long now to do so ....

And for those calling this card some kinda dominate winner vs 7970's i think you's are all doin the if you's think so. This isnt a on this card .... its more of a .

The ONLY in this situation is competition for our $'s causing it to hopefully get the 2 companies into a price war with each other.
If their second line can do 16% above AMD's topline. Then I have no worries who wears the crown this round. And honestly, the price point is perfect. Coupled with the fact that tight competition between the two vendors will keep prices in check makes the consumer win.

I cheered when AMD brought out their Cards (by all means check) but they aren't bringing it fast enough, and there drivers are mature. Once nVidia starts refining theirs we may see 20%...and then they will launch GK110 for those who have to have the fastest.

It might have taken them years, but they Learned from the past, that Terry is the sign of a smart company.

Santa Clara wins this round.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 25, 2012, 12:55 AM
Rookie

Hi all.

Just got my MSI GTX 680 today !!! First off, massive improvement in BF3 compared to my GTX 580 OC !! (which i am currently selling)

Here is the image, stock: View image: 680ntitled
Old March 25, 2012, 02:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Bingo, cards are priced according to market conditions. This whole "trickery" thing is utter BS.
Well isn't it funny then that Nvidia manipulates this market by as I said releasing a mainstream card as a "top-end" card.

What would've happened if they had the GK110 ready for launch.

Do you honestly think this GTX680 (rather GTX660 or GTX670ti) would cost $500.
Clearly it would sit at $400 and the GK110 (two cards, equivalent to 570/580) would have prices around $600-650 for the top card and ~$500 for the little brother GK110 version (aka a 570 equivalent).

What is happening right now is that they are price gouging cause AMD had such a poor showing that they feel no need to release their REAL equivalent top card.

Us customers shouldn't suffer cause AMD does poorly, we didn't have to wait for the GTX8800 or the GTX480 (yes it was late for launch but it was the FIRST card released of Fermi).
Both had 60% or more performance to previous generation Nvidia flag ship cards.

It's sad to see you don't notice this.

I completely understand that Nvidia is a business and they want money, but this is just bad for us.
Yet again AMD dropped the ball and now we get these tactics.

Same thing with Intel.

The Ivy bridge will be faster with it's integrated graphics component, but who cares about that when you sit on a desktop and use discrete vid cards.
So the actual processing capability increase between Sandy and Ivy is virtually nil, only some 5%.
I know it's just a refresh and not a generation change, but still.

This is because AMD pose no threat at all and they can't even beat their own CPU's with the Bulldozer.
Same now in Graphics, they are, how should I put it; So very mediocre.

None of this promotes competition and price wars and we don't see the real increase.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see that the real top end version of Kepler (Gk110) will simply be held back and then be a "pretend refresh" card with names like GTX780/770 and will be launched to compete with AMD refresh "Sea islands".

It's just annoying, we used to always get the top end cards released first.
Just like AMD did now with HD7970, they didn't release the HD7870 first did they?

However, the GTX680 isn't bad, it's actually super good for being a mainstream card and it IS the fastest card right now and you basically don't need anything faster in any game and I bet even 1-2 years from now.

This is why I might just get it anyway. But I would have liked to have a better line-up. More choices as well.

Last edited by Loki76; March 25, 2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old March 25, 2012, 09:59 AM
Allstar

While I agree that all the companies play strategy games with products and pricing, and that the usual losers (at elast in the short term) are the consumers, adding Intel's graphics to the mix isn't a valid argument.

Intel doesn't aim its graphics at the enthusiast and gaming amrket and never has. They are targeted firmly at business and mainstream home users who use a fraction of teh potential their systems (both CPU and GPU) are actually capable of providing. You don't need high end cards for spreadsheets, advertising graphics, web sites, watching aunt dora's latest vid of gand-neice or whatever. They generally make a solid product but it's aimed at an entirely different market.
Old March 25, 2012, 10:07 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Well isn't it funny then that Nvidia manipulates this market by as I said releasing a mainstream card as a "top-end" card.
Manipulates? Methinks not. They priced it according to market conditions. Actually, they priced it AGAINST certain market realities that were dictated by AMD's price gouging.

Quote:
Do you honestly think this GTX680 (rather GTX660 or GTX670ti) would cost $500.
Clearly it would sit at $400 and the GK110 (two cards, equivalent to 570/580) would have prices around $600-650 for the top card and ~$500 for the little brother GK110 version (aka a 570 equivalent).
Blame AMD. Their top cards in this generation under perform.

Quote:
What is happening right now is that they are price gouging cause AMD had such a poor showing that they feel no need to release their REAL equivalent top card.
NVIDIA gouging? Last I checked, AMD's HD 7970 is STILL selling for $549...

Quote:
It's sad to see you don't notice this.
Everyone notices it. Welcome to what's called a free market economy. Glad to have you onboard.
Old March 25, 2012, 11:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

Everyone notices it. Welcome to what's called a free market economy. Glad to have you onboard.

a good number of people notice it as rigged market duopolies and self serving truths, but you can dress it up any way you like.

it's a neat card, but amd isn't as big of a douche here because they didn't have the ability to deliver anything faster most likely until now with the oc headroom the 7xxx has, nvidia is tying it's own arm behind it's back to be coy. the balls been in nvidia's court for a long time, they've been setting the pace, amd just decided to not bother racing in the big ticket events with the 4870's onward, and focused on the mainstream where they could compete. this current generation of cards is like watching a prize fighter sandbagging his way into a lower tier match to slap around the little guy cause he wasn't moving up the weight classes as he'd like.
Old March 25, 2012, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So many people signing up just to complain.

Sky, do you have any info on the Frozr line, or any other non-ref cooled cards?
Old March 25, 2012, 03:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_sanchez View Post
a good number of people notice it as rigged market duopolies and self serving truths, but you can dress it up any way you like.

it's a neat card, but amd isn't as big of a douche here because they didn't have the ability to deliver anything faster most likely until now with the oc headroom the 7xxx has, nvidia is tying it's own arm behind it's back to be coy. the balls been in nvidia's court for a long time, they've been setting the pace, amd just decided to not bother racing in the big ticket events with the 4870's onward, and focused on the mainstream where they could compete. this current generation of cards is like watching a prize fighter sandbagging his way into a lower tier match to slap around the little guy cause he wasn't moving up the weight classes as he'd like.
And yet there main stream cards are beat or equaled by the last generation budget cards of a similar cost...
If thats there strategy they are doing it wrong...

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 25, 2012, 04:01 PM
Banned

Not shure if I can post a fellow review sites review page, but I'd like to point out again how things are on equal footing with 7970's especialy when you oc them: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...d,3162-11.html The cards flip flop each other in power & preformance.

And yes these prices are far out of wack. The 7970 & 680's should be price @ a $399 price point if that.
Old March 26, 2012, 08:15 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

If you could release a card that beats the competitions top offering by 15% and you can offer it for 10% less, what would you do?

Business 101, a no brainer.

Edit. The other thing you can't do is kill the value of all the existing cards in channel right now. That would get you canned real fast.