Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2012, 05:29 PM
Banned

Default Pricing on now released & available 7850 / 7850 cards

Just wanted to start a discussion thread on this.

Looking at the pricing on ncix so far .... 7850's are between $249-279 & 7870's $349-379. So far not to impressed by the pricing. though ... IF the leaked tom's hardware images on a certain hardopps site indicate anything legitamite of nvidia 680,7xxx series cards will come down some.

Definately makes it hard to upgrade in my current situation with a aging 5850 & limited income.

Anyone else think the intial pricing so far seems still a lil high?
Old March 20, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, definately high.

Us early adopters were willing to pay a price for the superior performance at once, but the late adopters will get the better deal, for sure.

The way I see it, Nvidia will release their cards at the same price points as AMD. I can see the Nvidia cards performing maybe 10-15% more than their equivalent AMD cards. If AMD is smart, they'll realize that they've taken as much advantage of the high price point as they can, and drop the price of their cards a little so that the price/performance is at par with Nvidia.

That being said, if Nvidia releases their high end cards first, it'll be a couple of months before their mainstream cards (650??) will be out on the market. AMD will probably keep the 7850/7870 at the current price point until Nvidia's competing cards are released.

I could realistically see the 7970/7950 dropping about $50-$75 in price.

It's a tough call. The AMD cards have a lot going for them. Chiefly in power consumption. If that's a big deal for you, I think AMD might be the way to go for you. Recently, Nvidia has had the performance crown, but AMD has been beating them in performance/Watt. Wait a couple of months and wait and see what happens with the prices. If your 5850 is serving you well now, there's no new games coming out soon that will take advantage of the new tech.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 20, 2012, 07:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

They got greedy and priced too high. Instead of being aggressive and taking more market share. Lets see how much that hurts them.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 20, 2012, 07:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
They got greedy and priced too high. Instead of being aggressive and taking more market share. Lets see how much that hurts them.

-ST
AMD went with the low-price strategy when they introduced the 5000-series, but with limited availability it didn't really help it gain any permanent market share. That's the thing about the discrete graphics card market, the majority of purchasers are brand-agnostic. From a company's perspective, you might as well soak up as much profit as you can because giving the customer a good deal today does not ensure a return buyer tomorrow.

Overall profits probably look the same, but there's much less risk when releasing a low-volume, high-price part than there is with a low-price, high volume part. The risk is ameliorated in two areas: 1) if your production has issues, you don't end up with a low-price + low-volume situation, and 2) you can always drop prices to increase volume without triggering a major customer backlash (early adopters know they're taking a risk, plus while prospective customers can still change their minds).

AMD's prices aren't out of line if you compare them to the price/performance of the competing Nvidia cards (the 7750 being a glaring exception). They're just out of line with AMD's prior low-price strategy.
Old March 20, 2012, 08:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
AMD went with the low-price strategy when they introduced the 5000-series, but with limited availability it didn't really help it gain any permanent market share. That's the thing about the discrete graphics card market, the majority of purchasers are brand-agnostic. From a company's perspective, you might as well soak up as much profit as you can because giving the customer a good deal today does not ensure a return buyer tomorrow.

Overall profits probably look the same, but there's much less risk when releasing a low-volume, high-price part than there is with a low-price, high volume part. The risk is ameliorated in two areas: 1) if your production has issues, you don't end up with a low-price + low-volume situation, and 2) you can always drop prices to increase volume without triggering a major customer backlash (early adopters know they're taking a risk, plus while prospective customers can still change their minds).

AMD's prices aren't out of line if you compare them to the price/performance of the competing Nvidia cards (the 7750 being a glaring exception). They're just out of line with AMD's prior low-price strategy.
The 7770 wasn't priced right either, and P vs P wasn't in line with what it should be. I can bear with their flagship being priced that high, but I think their prior strategy would have worked better. Not that I know anything about these kind of things..I just don't feel they are bringing enough value.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 21, 2012, 04:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I don't know about you guys. But I remembered I paid over $300 for my HD 5850. I got it just over 2 years ago. So, the price for the HD 7870 isn't that bad. I am sure they will drop in price. but not for a bit.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:28 AM
Allstar

In contrast I got my HD4870 in the fall of 2008 for $299 when AMD was blazing a trail with high quality cards at reasonable prices. (Yes I keep hardware longer than most enthusiasts primarily due to budget constraints.)

I could use an upgrade but am not happy with their current pricing model.
Old March 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Isn't the 7870 supposed to be the replacement for the 6970? I thought they were supposed to be a lil cheaper then the previous gen. I paid 350 for my 6970.

So what advantage would there be to switching to a 7870? Lower power consumption and heat?
Old March 21, 2012, 12:22 PM
MVP

Pretty much.....and a lighter wallet. :D

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old March 21, 2012, 12:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I wanted a pair of 7870's to replace my 6870's but i'm not liking the pricing. I might just hold off and run them a little longer until AMD comes to their senses and drops the price.