Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2008, 07:47 PM
MVP

Smile New ASUS Radeon 3850 and half life lost coast

sometimes i think the hardware gods hate me. just ask SS Wilson and my habit of going through hard drives like a bar patron at the peanut bowl.

anyway recently i bought a asus radeon 3850 to take the place of an x800 xl. i installed it along with a new 750 watt power supply from pc power and cooling. i discovered that the older drivers didnt work that well with the new video card and installed the new drivers from the cd that came with the card.

that didnt work vry well so i used a driver cleaner to remove every trace of ati software and then installed the drivers from the disk again. all was well until i went to play lost coast.

even though my processor was onyl a 2,8ghz p4 it went well. an amazing looking game. then i went to exit to windows and bang, the dreaded blue screen of death. furthermore bsod happened every time i quit from lost coast, every single time.

not being able to find and answerr on the web i reformatted to be sure of total removal of all ati software. this time it was marginally better. all i got this time was runtime errors and unusal program termination errors with half life 2 and lost coast.

i should mention that i got half life 2 off of ebay. it is a thai version of the game. the language can be changed to english in steam. everything is supposed to be the same.

determined to find the malfunction i reformatted once again, this time i used acronis to take a back up when i was done loading xp, norton 360, office 2003 and all their updates.

then i went to the asus site and loaded the latest drivers for their card. then to give the card a test i loaded the game that came with it called company of heroes and all of its updates. not really a fan of WW2 shooters but it seems to work.

just in case the thai version of half life 2 had something screwy with it i have ordered and american version from ebay and thus havent loaded the game yet.

has anyone else heard of bsod with lost coast?
Old March 22, 2008, 08:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you use Riva Tuner to bump up the fan? I had a few issues with Lost Coast but those were related to low fan speeds in bios.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 22, 2008, 09:32 PM
MVP

i used riva tuner but had zero issues with temperature. i checked the charts riva spitsa out and the temp never got very high even when the game was played. idles around 30 deg .

i think it was a software issue of some sort. will know when the new half life 2 gets here
Old March 23, 2008, 03:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The temp issues aren't anything you'd be able to see as it's not GPU temps that cause the BSOD. In fact it's low"ish" GPU temps that keep the fan speed too low for good airflow over the VRMs.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 23, 2008, 10:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
The temp issues aren't anything you'd be able to see as it's not GPU temps that cause the BSOD. In fact it's low"ish" GPU temps that keep the fan speed too low for good airflow over the VRMs.
I think that was what was happening to me with Battlefield 2142, with my 88gt and stock cooler it would bsod. Added a accelro S1and it works fine, I know my GFX settings were not high enough to cause a heat issue.
Though the problem went away I never did figure out "Why?" but that sounds like a reasonable answer Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 23, 2008, 11:46 AM
MVP

Default i think i have had just about enough.........

i have tried every program out there to control fan speed.

asus smart doctor has the fan tab greyed out

rivatuner -- it reads things fine, i can get to the fan page and i set it to 100%
no change in noise or temp of gpu.

so i set it to 40% applied the change and then set it back to 100% except i didnt apply the change. i opened the case and got where i could see the fan running. i got someone else to click apply and there was no visible change to fan spped or the sound or the amount of air coming out.

i dont know much about hardware but i do know that when i changed the speed of the fan on my old x800 xl i could hear the change in speed.

perhaps the fan speed cant be changed on this card model. i have tried everything and am out of ideas.

i even tried a beta of ati tool. no effect

any ideas before i rma?

thx to all

rob123
Old March 23, 2008, 12:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmmm.... I'll have to look at Riva Tuner later tonight, I don't remember there being anything special about enabling fan control, and mine works fine on the "fixed" mode. (Haven't been able to get a new auto profile loaded, but I haven't spent too much time trying either.... :) ).

Old March 23, 2008, 06:07 PM
MVP

i should also mention that i am running windows xp home sp2 with all possible updates. i also use norton but dont really feel like getting into that issue right now. i swear the fan speed on the old x800xl was far more easily controlled.

i have so far today:

- reloaded the image i took to be free of all video drivers
- used the asus drivers, ati drivers ( catalyst 8.2 and 8.3) i have tried just the video drivers and the hwole catalyst package for both.

i have installed rivatuner and ati tool betas too many times to count. i have used asus smart doctor with their own drivers and the area for the fan is greyed out so its useless.

i have just finished reading a nearly endless number of posts about others who are having problems with similar ati cards( built by or powered by) and it seems that i may not be able to control the fan speed.

when i play games like company of heroes or lost coast the temp gets up to ridiculous levels of 70 or more.

i am not an engineer but i do know that temps like that are going to at the very least shorten the life of the card or do other possible worse things.

i even bought a new pc power and cooling ps for this so power is not an issue.

it seems that for whatever reason that ati has decided to lock the fan speed at 40%. they also appear to be ignoring calls for it to be unlocked. too bad for them i guess.

waiting on ss wilson before i ship this thing back to ncix.
Old March 23, 2008, 06:31 PM
MVP

Default I'm Done..........

thx to all for help and possible answers. i have really had enough of this issue and have created an rma with ncix. i have also just read that there are more posts where people are having ati fan speed problems. they seem to be slif=ding .

anyway i would like to thank all again.

can anyone recommend a card where they KNOW the fan speed can be varied by either the software that comes with it or by a third party application.

thx

rob123
Old March 23, 2008, 07:31 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Hmmmm.... I'll have to look at Riva Tuner later tonight, I don't remember there being anything special about enabling fan control, and mine works fine on the "fixed" mode. (Haven't been able to get a new auto profile loaded, but I haven't spent too much time trying either.... :) ).
did a new auto program for my x1950XT and its workign well you need to modify a variable to "3" in the advanced pannel to get this to work

you could always do a little search i have already post that in another 3850/3870 thread

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb