Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2008, 03:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

yeah tell him you want it back so you can try to fix or return it...there are no pins of any kind to bend on these cpus. sounds like hes trying to rip you off. does the video card even work?
Old March 22, 2008, 03:40 PM
Rookie

Yea the video card seems to be working fine...didn't really use it much though. Ill see if I can get the chip and try it out..
Old March 22, 2008, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasheKicker View Post
Get it back from him 1st before you make any rash decisions.

Try it out on your own rig 1st. Hopefully he is an idiot and there is nothing wrong with it.

As others have mentioned there are no pins to bend, its not an AMD chip.

If it is damaged then and you have proof it was in good order when you gave it to him, request reimbursement. If not well, possesion is 9/10 of the law...

Keep his 8800.

Damaging it could only cause bigger problems. DO not stoop to that level. That is just childish behavior.

Other than that if you lent someone a component that has no knowledge how to install it or how it works you have no one to blame but yourself.
QFT

Well if says the pins are bent on a 775 the read the bold type, ti sucks I know but damaging his 88gt because you freely lent it to him is well.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 22, 2008, 06:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I wouldn't wreck his graphics card, I know your angry but that's mean spirited and you both lose out. I just bought my first intel chip (E6400) after dealing with AMD for a few years and I was surprised to see that it doesn't have any pins, no wonder the 775 sockets look so weird.

Maybe he mucked up his socket, you have to be careful with it from what I can tell, there's even a little plastic protector for it when you have no cpu installed. In my opinion the right thing to do is ask for your chip back, give him his GPU and if your chip doesn't work then he should pay to replace it, if he doesn't then either never lend him anything ever again or cease being friends with him. You'll be the bigger man. In his place I would have bought you a new cpu or agreed to let you keep my GPU in it's place if it left your hands working and I was returning it in poor shape.

Old March 22, 2008, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Ok bro you best think of the consequenses, if your "friend" is friend enough to loan parts to each other, sabotaging his part is going to completely ruin your friendship.

Like others have said there are NO pins on a 775 socket chip so if i was you i would call him up and say something like " uh, i was just thinking dude, there are no pins on that chip... are you sure you installed it right?"

Then i would haul ass over there and reclaim my chip or if i was still feeling generous i would install it FOR him. Perhaps he was just in error and this is just a big misunderstanding, but you know your buddy better than i do.

If the chip is ruined, i would ask him what he thought fair compensation would be... i would definatly say keeping his card would be fair, or having it replaced would be fair too. But you really need to discuss it with him. If he thinks that its just "sucks to be you" and wants his card back and will give no compensation, then you need to decide weather or not your friendship is worth keeping and either...

A: keep his card and hope he doesnt go to the cops... possetion may be 9/10ths the law, but i'm pretty sure the cops would lean on you to return it.

B: Return the card and keep firm in your mind not to trust that guy with your things again. but continue to be friends.

C: Return the card and find a new friend.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old March 22, 2008, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
Ok bro you best think of the consequenses, if your "friend" is friend enough to loan parts to each other, sabotaging his part is going to completely ruin your friendship.

Like others have said there are NO pins on a 775 socket chip so if i was you i would call him up and say something like " uh, i was just thinking dude, there are no pins on that chip... are you sure you installed it right?"

Then i would haul ass over there and reclaim my chip or if i was still feeling generous i would install it FOR him. Perhaps he was just in error and this is just a big misunderstanding, but you know your buddy better than i do.

If the chip is ruined, i would ask him what he thought fair compensation would be... i would definatly say keeping his card would be fair, or having it replaced would be fair too. But you really need to discuss it with him. If he thinks that its just "sucks to be you" and wants his card back and will give no compensation, then you need to decide weather or not your friendship is worth keeping and either...

A: keep his card and hope he doesnt go to the cops... possetion may be 9/10ths the law, but i'm pretty sure the cops would lean on you to return it.

B: Return the card and keep firm in your mind not to trust that guy with your things again. but continue to be friends.

C: Return the card and find a new friend.
I would do what tzetsin said. It would not be wise to destroy his card. If he did infact destroy your CPU then talk to him and do what tzetsin said.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."