Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2012, 11:45 AM
Trial Member

Question Help! Multi-Display, which way?

Hey there guys, I'm looking for some advise on my options for a multi display set up.

I have contemplated doing it before but never got round it, but now I'm seriously considering it. I have a few points that I'd like some help/advise with please.

*Is it really worth it? How many games will it work well with, how many not at all?

*Which GPU's are best? I have a 6950 which I was maybe going to crossfire with the same or a 6970.

*Which screens are ideal? I have a 27" 1920x1080 60hz as my main display, I was thinking of maybe getting 2 screens that I can rotate 90* and go either side.

They're the main ones but I know there's many things to consider in between, like drivers and upgrades to system.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Old February 24, 2012, 03:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well if it's just for normal usage you can use any graphics card to display two screens. If you want to game, it's not recommended using 2 monitors as eyefinity will put the centre of the screen right where the bezels of your monitors are, causing it to look broken and hard to use.
Old February 24, 2012, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, if you want to do multi-monitor gaming, I only suggest triple monitor setups and you'll want dual GPUs (seriously, other than the 7970, there is no single GPU that could push reasonable quality & fps across 3x 1080p monitors).

I can't give great advice on the rotating side monitors 90*, but I'm pretty happy with 3 monitors in landscape mode. It's just so immersive feeling to have everything off in your peripherals. Just remember than for eyefinity you basically need identical monitors, where surround is friendlier with mixing monitors (this may have changed since I last looked it up).

A lot of games do work, but then again, there are lots that don't work properly with multi gaming. From what I read, I get the feeling that nvidia/surround usually offers more/better support in games than ATI/eyefinity. For pushing 3x 1080p monitors, nothing less than dual 6950s or 570s imo. Unless you really don't care about playing on high settings or full resolution.
Old February 26, 2012, 09:14 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I've heard of people getting a nvidia dedicated to physx along with what ever card(s) they already have. I don't know much about it, but maybe look into something like that.