Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2012, 09:51 AM
Rookie

Default What are "safe" VRM temperatures?

I have a 7970, got the Accelero Xtreme cooler for it installed and the CPU temp almost never goes above 65 C even when running FurMark, but the VRM readings on hdwinfo shows over 100C for VRMs!!!

Is this normal?

What kind of VRM temps are people considering safe?
Old February 17, 2012, 10:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Depends on who makes the VRM's. I've seen ones rated very high indeed.
If we can get a picture of one we can trace it back to its maker and see what its 'Safe' Temperature is.

That is probably pretty normal temps though,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 17, 2012, 11:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I know my old CF 5870's with batmobile coolers VRM temp... 125C the top card was sitting at when gaming heavily for hours. Used them for a little under a year, they are now in a bit coin mine rig,and have been mining @ 100% for months and are still alive and strong.
Old February 19, 2012, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A lot of VRMs are rated at 125C (as they are usually power MOSFET chips, and those are normally rated at either 85C or 125C). As Soul mentioned, the VRMs vary between manufacturers (even 2 seemingly identical cards) so the best way to find out is to try to find the little chips near the PCI-E power connectors (usually 3-terminals at one end + grounding tab at the other) and look up their part numbers.

That said, you probably have 125C rated chips given that your GPU still functions.
Old February 21, 2012, 07:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
A lot of VRMs are rated at 125C (as they are usually power MOSFET chips, and those are normally rated at either 85C or 125C). As Soul mentioned, the VRMs vary between manufacturers (even 2 seemingly identical cards) so the best way to find out is to try to find the little chips near the PCI-E power connectors (usually 3-terminals at one end + grounding tab at the other) and look up their part numbers.

That said, you probably have 125C rated chips given that your GPU still functions.
Yeah I've seen them go that hot for sure. Its only a matter of finding out which ones you have. THat being said they can't be the 85 degree ones or you would have cooked your card by now.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 21, 2012, 07:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The VRMs on my DirectCU2 Top 7970 also hit 100C while gaming, I'm actually disappointed with this, but hey, I guess if they're rated for this they must be ok?
The Core stays nice and cool at under 70C with heavy loads (BF3 ultra w/2xSSAA @ 2560x1440).