Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2012, 01:56 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Most of the time the pricing structure sent to reviewers is fairly accurate I am afraid. We didn't see many dips from launch prices on most products.

ST
I'm not talking about the difference between the MSRP or the regular store price. I'm talking about the difference between the regular store price and the eventual discount price.

Something I've observed in computer shops over the years is that a high percentage of components like video cards are sold at a discount. I assume this is also true to some degree for online stores. That Most people I know almost always wait for a discount or rebate before buying.

Again, this is just my opinion based on assumptions and personal experience. :)
Old February 16, 2012, 11:22 AM
Allstar

yes everyone loves buying something and getting a discount. But is it really a discount when the asking price is $30-100 more than the MSRP and is then discounted $10-30 off the inflated retail price? Sometimes not even dropping it back to the MSRP? (remember - the cost of these to the vendor is less than the MSRP to start with).

Would you buy a car that was being sold for $3-5000 over the manufacturer's sticker price? Even if the dealer discounted their selling price $100-500? I don't think so - most people would go elsewhere. But folks seem only to happy to do just that with a lot of computer hardware.