Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2012, 05:04 PM
Rookie

Default 550ti SLI bottleneck?

Recently built a new system, AMD 8150 3.6 GHz, 4 GB 1333MHz RAM, 2 550TI SLI, old HDD. This is the first system I've ever built from scratch, so I am a bit of a noob, but is this a bottleneck? Whenever I play BF3, I get HUGE lag spikes, and according to a forum post, whichever component gets highest on the perfoverlay graph via the console on BF3, is the cause of a bottleneck? Is this a genuine bottleneck or is something else the problem? And if it is, how would I fix it? buy a new video card? Thanks for any advice. :)
Old February 7, 2012, 05:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What resolution are you gaming at?
550TI SLI is not overly powerful for BF3, so you are likely VC limited. Depending on settings and such.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 7, 2012, 06:35 PM
Rookie

I've been gaming at 1920 by 1080, I play every game on this resolution and everything else I play runs smoothly with decent FPS and no sudden drops. I know the cards reccomended res is 1680 by 1050, but BF3 lags on every setting. I even tried lowest settings, with 640x400 (I think?) res, and it still spiked like crazy. I know a 550ti isn't the best, but I was hoping 2 of them would give the same performance as a 560ti atleast. They are the ASUS version and have heatpipes so they have pretty good cooling, I even overclocked them to 1 GHZ and 2GHZ shaders and 2100 on the memory. I don't get what's wrong with it, is it even a bottleneck? or is something else wrong here? the low amount of RAM wouldn't cause a GPU/CPU spike would it?
Old February 7, 2012, 06:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm if its doing it across the board for everything it might be something else.
Take out the drivers and re-install them perhaps. I know BF3 is intense in its demands but you should be able to get it running somewhere.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 7, 2012, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Instead of dropping the resolution, try playing at 1920x1080 and turn all the graphics qualities down to near their lowest just to see if it solves the spikes. If it does it is likely a problem with the amount of video card ram, a driver issue, or a certain graphics setting that your cards don't like.

For me I found the ssao/hbao (I think that is what it is called) caused quite a bit of visual jumping around that wasn't showing up in FRAPS (FPS), but was annoying me. Turning that off solved it for me (on my gtx 460)

If neither of these seem to be the case then try different drivers, or remove one card (it could be a problem with the SLI drivers).
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old February 8, 2012, 07:17 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I would also recommend what Bond007 recommended, it could be that your settings are too high and if that is the case it wouldn't really matter what resolution you were playing at. Turn all the graphics settings to the lowest and give it a try. I would also make sure you check your nvidia control panel 3D settings to make sure it's on performance mode instead of quality. This should help increase performance.
Old February 8, 2012, 07:24 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the help, I might just end up having to buy a higher end card or something.. speaking of the 3D settings, what's the best SLI rendering option? should I leave it at NVIDIA reccomended or change it to alternate frame rendering? And if I do have to buy a new card, what should I get? a 570? or should I go for an Amd 699X card and hope for better compatibility as they're both AMD? or won't this make a difference?
Old February 8, 2012, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

You said "old hard drive"? How old?
Old February 8, 2012, 08:00 AM
Rookie

I've been fiddling with it for a while now and I got it to work. :) I did what you guys said and tried to lower the settings but not resolution, so I stuck the textures and shadows down the lowest and now it's at a constant 50 fps. :D I am so happy. I'm guessing my GPU's were getting filled to the brim so they dragged my cpu through the bottleneck and it stutters. Now my CPU barely moves when on the perfoverlay graph, only time it gets some usage is when I die, open the menu or check the scores. Graphics cards are still being used a bit too much but atleast I can run it now. :). Definitely gonna be looking to buy a new GPU soon though, hopefully a 580 if I get enough money or a 6970 for that extra V-RAM and possibly invest in some faster bigger RAM. Thanks again for the help guys. :)
Old February 8, 2012, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedwar View Post
I've been fiddling with it for a while now and I got it to work. :) I did what you guys said and tried to lower the settings but not resolution, so I stuck the textures and shadows down the lowest and now it's at a constant 50 fps. :D I am so happy. I'm guessing my GPU's were getting filled to the brim so they dragged my cpu through the bottleneck and it stutters. Now my CPU barely moves when on the perfoverlay graph, only time it gets some usage is when I die, open the menu or check the scores. Graphics cards are still being used a bit too much but atleast I can run it now. :). Definitely gonna be looking to buy a new GPU soon though, hopefully a 580 if I get enough money or a 6970 for that extra V-RAM and possibly invest in some faster bigger RAM. Thanks again for the help guys. :)
You shouldn't need to be on low settings. My brother plays on a single gtx 460 768mb at 1920x1080 with mostly high settings.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb