Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2012, 10:18 AM
Rookie

Default I need help making a video card decision.

Ok my income tax came in this morning,and i can now afford to upgrade my video card,and i having a hard time deciding what to do,now i REALLY want to get is an XFX HD7970 DD BE 3GB,but the only place i have found in stock and with a normal price on it is here:

XFX FX797ATDBC Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition Video Card - 3072MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), 1x Dual-Link DVI-I, 2x Mini DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Eyefinity, CrossFireX Ready at TigerDirect.com

But they charge tax,and i have to upgrade the shipping to get it to ship as fast as newegg,and all that will end up costing me an extra $60,Or i could get a referance 7970 from here

NCIX US - Buy R7970-2PMD3GD5 - MSI Radeon HD 7970 925MHZ 3GB 5.5GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2XMINIDP PCI-E Video Card - Others - Great price and fast delivery

Now this place won't charge tax,but i will have to upgrade shipping which is about $15 extra,or i could settle for a 7950 and get this

NCIX US - Buy FX795ATDBC - XFX Radeon HD 7950 Double D Black ED 900MHZ 3GB 5.0GBPS GDDR5 DL-DVI HDMI 2XMINIDP PCI-E Video Card - Others - Great price and fast delivery

Or get this from newegg:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

So mainly is the extra $60 worth it? for the one i want or do i settle for something else? Or should i wait for the part to come in on newegg or ncix?(keep in mind i'm ADHD,and had a hard time just waiting for my income tax to come in lol)

Thank you guys for all the help.
Old February 7, 2012, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you plan on keeping the cooler it comes with, go with the DD- the reference cooler is annoyingly loud. Also if you get teh black edition from XFX, you get the lifetime warranty- not so with XFX reference.
Old February 7, 2012, 11:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
If you plan on keeping the cooler it comes with, go with the DD- the reference cooler is annoyingly loud. Also if you get teh black edition from XFX, you get the lifetime warranty- not so with XFX reference.
I will be keeping the cooler on it,cause i don't think i am ready to try water cooling.
So should i TRY and wait for somewhere to get a 7970 DD BE? Or should i settle for the 7950 DD BE?
Old February 7, 2012, 12:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Personally, I like the simplicity of a one card solution and I can afford to upgrade to the flagship model every two or three years - I went for the 5870 when it came out, and just bought the 7970- should do me for a couple more years. However, of you want to save some dough you might want to go for the 7950, especially if you mgiht consider grabbing a second one for your next upgrade down the road when they're cheaper or when you can get one used. I just like to deal with single card setups.
Old February 7, 2012, 01:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Personally, I like the simplicity of a one card solution and I can afford to upgrade to the flagship model every two or three years - I went for the 5870 when it came out, and just bought the 7970- should do me for a couple more years. However, of you want to save some dough you might want to go for the 7950, especially if you mgiht consider grabbing a second one for your next upgrade down the road when they're cheaper or when you can get one used. I just like to deal with single card setups.
I would also prefer a single card,but like i said i am ADHD and hate waiting,i have trouble just waiting the 3 days for newegg to deliver stuff lol,but i also am not made of money,buying a new card @ $600 is going to take up 75% of my income tax,and i have to also save money for other stuff,so things like next day shipping are not worth it lol,but i am also wondering if getting it on tigerdirect would be worth it or not,or if i should just wait(which is not going to be easy lol).
Old February 7, 2012, 01:59 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

60 bucks isnt a real big sacrifice if its the card you really want.
Old February 7, 2012, 03:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
60 bucks isnt a real big sacrifice if its the card you really want.
Yeah,but i am living with my mom and grandpa(cause my current pay checks are not enough to pay bills)plus they both think it is crazy for me to spend $600+ on a single pc part,if they were to find out i paid that much, they would most likly start lecture me about how i should be paying that much for something that is just a toy..... that is the biggest problem i am going to have.