Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2012, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah his Sig states on Water (Water Blocks), so why he would "boast" his 40C Temp to you is beyond me..pointless, guess he needs some attention :)

Yep definitely remove the plastic film, look for some plastic film on the Fan Hub (center) as well as the sides of the Card.

As indicated above download and run the Evga Flash Fan Unlocker, but it isnt really necessary, allows super low Fan speed (too low for you likely) or 80% (I got away with Max 78% Fan speed), anyhow, try running your Fan speed at 78% and report back Max Gaming Temps! Think with that Fan Speed and SLi I was hitting 72c playing Crysis 2 DX11 FEAR 3 DX11 or BF3.

If Temps are still higher than about 80c those Cards are super easy to disassemble and replace the Thermal Grease I did all of my Cards with IC Diamond and lowered Temps a few degrees!

btw....no such thing as an Evga GTX 580 SSC (Super Super Clocked), only 580 SC (Super Clocked), FTW version is the Hydro version...on a side note the Classy Ultra with larger Fan provides incredible Air Cooling ;)
Old February 4, 2012, 05:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Yeah his Sig states on Water (Water Blocks), so why he would "boast" his 40C Temp to you is beyond me..pointless, guess he needs some attention :)

Yep definitely remove the plastic film, look for some plastic film on the Fan Hub (center) as well as the sides of the Card.

As indicated above download and run the Evga Flash Fan Unlocker, but it isnt really necessary, allows super low Fan speed (too low for you likely) or 80% (I got away with Max 78% Fan speed), anyhow, try running your Fan speed at 78% and report back Max Gaming Temps! Think with that Fan Speed and SLi I was hitting 72c playing Crysis 2 DX11 FEAR 3 DX11 or BF3.

If Temps are still higher than about 80c those Cards are super easy to disassemble and replace the Thermal Grease I did all of my Cards with IC Diamond and lowered Temps a few degrees!

btw....no such thing as an Evga GTX 580 SSC (Super Super Clocked), only 580 SC (Super Clocked), FTW version is the Hydro version...on a side note the Classy Ultra with larger Fan provides incredible Air Cooling ;)

Didn't even realize that there was no SSC for this one hahaah. Good catch RJ.
I know they had them for other cards so my brain just assumed that the 580 came in that flavour as well.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 4, 2012, 07:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have an eVGA GTX 580 SC and I replaced the stock cooler with an Accelero Xtreme Plus II. Well worth the upgrade. Running the standard SC speed of 797 MHz, Mem 2025 MHz and VDDC is 1.088 V, using the OC Scanner stress test my card runs 52C to 55C. Room ambient is 21.5C right now. I have an H100 with the rad mounted in the top of a Corsair 650D case and the MB shows the case temp as 32C (eVGA X58 SLI LE MB with the LED). I have eVGA Precision installed and I just set the fan speed to match temps, so at 53C the fan runs at 53% and so on.

I don't recall my max temps with the stock cooler, but I don't think it ever reached 80C. I did make sure I had Precision installed and I did set my fan profile though, so if you are not running a more aggressive fan profile that could be the answer.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop

Last edited by Dwayne; February 4, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old February 4, 2012, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Well worth the upgrade
Sorry dude dont think any Aftermarket Air Cooler is worth it....please post pics of running Crysis2 DX11, FEAR3 DX11 or BF3 with Max Temps of what...?....52c.... I personally am going to call you on that one and say bullshvt, unless its with your GPU Fans spinning at 150% and who needs that noise n racket .....sorry man cant buy that one! Any decent Aftermarket Cooler you'llbe lucky to get a decrease of Max Load Temps of around 8c...so you were running 60c Max prior to installing your Aftermarker Cooler?...yeah right hahahaha!

Tri SLi 580's all stock with Fans running at 78% I saw Max Temps on middle Card of 74-78c..perfectly fine, likely around 70c with a single Card

The only problem with those Aftermarket Coolers is they dump the heat from the Card into the Case ...that sucks.....and they prohibit running SLi with a decent space between the Cards.

The 580's certainly dont need an Aftermarket Cooler(as compared to the 480's), as a Max Temp of 75-80c is perfectly fine for these Cards and there Stock Cooler is specifically designed to expel the heat out the back of the Case!If your going to install an Aftermaket Cooler on these Cards, may as well "do it right" and install Waterblocks! Otherwise its a waste of time n $$$!
Quote:

Didn't even realize that there was no SSC for this one hahaah. Good catch RJ.
....But the Cards CAN be OC'd well beyond FTW speeds SC speed is 797Mhz....no problem running 100% stable at 850Mhz with Stock 1.088v

Last edited by rjbarker; February 4, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old February 4, 2012, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
if i needed to boast i be runnin sli
if i wanted high temps i be running on air

if i was to boast my load temps would be below 20c;) on water

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old February 4, 2012, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ So why did you Post your Load Temps on Water in the 1st place?? Confused me...the guys on Air so who cares about Load Water Temps....btw, your temps seem a tad high dont you think for H2O?
Old February 4, 2012, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
^^^^ So why did you Post your Load Temps on Water in the 1st place?? Confused me...the guys on Air so who cares about Load Water Temps....btw, your temps seem a tad high dont you think for H2O?
who are you to tell me what i can post

overclock your cpu to 4.8 n let's see how high your temps get
@5.1 cpu gets a tad hotter
i had a few 980x n they got hot over 4.6 on air n 4.8 on water
@ 5.0 i hit 35c on the 580

now lets see if you can go over 4.2
n get a clue

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old February 4, 2012, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Simply didnt understand why you posted your Load temps on your 580 on WC when the OP was dealing with Air, pretty much pointless, guess you felt like "flexing"

Quote:
now lets see if you can go over 4.2
n get a clue
Actually I have no problems hitting 4.65 on Air, but it certainly isnt "cool" ....whats your point? DUH...I'm on AIR

the point is you dove into the OP's thread with a Temp based entirely on WC when you knew the OP was concerned with Air Cooled temps......

Last edited by rjbarker; February 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old February 4, 2012, 10:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Okay lets keep this on track to the OP folks.

RJ does have a point though, why talk about Fan profiles on cards that are under water? That has zero bearing on both the topic and his issue.

You know better.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 4, 2012, 10:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
So, i just would likke to know if that normal that the card is reaching 82c while gaming ?
Which game? .....if the Max your hitting is 82c playing Crysis2 DX11 or BF3.....no biggie really....as said way back....set Fan speed to around 78% and see if your Max Temps drop to around 76c or so...if not, perhaps a better Case with some more fans maybe an option (although re-applying TIM would be my next step) !!