Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2012, 03:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Some opinions and guidance 4eva!

Hi Guyz,
Hope u all are fine there, m here to talk bit longer might make u boooored but its the thing which mostly make not only me confusing but many ppl get puzzled while purchasing new rig!

Not to long stories, but need complete ans. for following ques.

1. Why SLI/Xfire is important? Is this just for benchmarking junkies or really matters in terms of performance?

2. If Dual-GPU cards are available like GTX 590, HD 7970 and HD 6990, they why still there is a need for 2-way SLI/Xfire? Is 2-way SLI/Xfire really perform well than Dual-GPU cards?

3. For 3D Surround/Eyefinity with mutiple displays like 6x32" LCD TV, really make necessary to use SLI/Xfire mode, but I just want to ask if in single display mode, like in scenario of having just one 32" LCD TV, and I want to run games of ultra high settings with 1080p, 3D also, will single beast card will perform better like GTX 570, HD 7950 or HD 6970, or we will need Dual-GPU card like HD 6990, GTX 590 or HD 7970 or SLI/Xfire Mode!???

Plz guyz, as i only expect help for here! Thats why instead of asking my friends or visiting other forums, m here cuz i knw that this will be solved! :)

Thanks

Best Regard,
Taimoor Ali
Old February 1, 2012, 06:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

1) Multiple card scenerios are needed for certain games if you like to drive high resolutions. i.e. if you want to play BF3 on a 30" Dell , at ultra high settings you will need at least SLI'd 580's. It is far from benchmarking, and it gives you the option of buying a card that is in your budget right now, and picking up a second down the road to increase your performance.

2) They are mutually the same. The only reason for Dual GPU cards is for either running Quad SLI or X-fire, or allowing a single slot solution for Dual GPU processing. THere are pros and Cons to running each setup.

3) If you are running multiple displays, you need multiple cards, espically for the scenerio you have. There is no if's and's or but's about. Unless, you are only doing it for somehting as mundane as word processing, or light activities. Once you get into the relm of gaming you need SLI/XFire in eyefinity/surround.
And, it doesn't matter if you are driving a single 32" monitor, size does not matter. Resolution is what makes the biggest difference. At 1080P a 560TI would suffice.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 1, 2012, 07:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It means that if m currently running 24" LED and only that i'll use in future but want to play every game at ultra, then wat u would prefer, buy and other MSI GTX 560-TI for SLI, as i have one currently or should go for AMD 7950 or GTX 580-90 in future?
Old February 1, 2012, 07:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Wait to see what the Midrange for ATI is going to be as well as what nVidia has comming.
That way you get the best performance for your price when its arrived.
If you cannot wait, then pick up a 560 for SLI as that would be a cheaper upgrade path.

But, I still think you and anyone else should wait to see what is comming down the line.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old February 1, 2012, 08:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok Bro then I should wait ;)

Thnx Bro!
Old February 1, 2012, 01:13 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

7970 is a single card.
Old February 1, 2012, 10:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ohk, then it means 7990 will be dual, nah?
Old February 3, 2012, 10:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimoorali007 View Post
ohk, then it means 7990 will be dual, nah?
Probably, if they do it.

-ST