Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2012, 01:27 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
It could be because the Vapor chamber doesn't like the orientation. It might work more efficiently when positioned in the horizontal versus vertical. I've heard of some VC's actually doing worse in a Raven than a traditional case.
-ST
I recall there was a similar issue/discussion surrounding heatpipe performance in the TJ09 due to the inverted arrangement of the motherboard.

Actually I wish someone would make a full sized desktop case again. I know they sue up a lot of space but they can be damn efficient too. CoolerMaster made one a few years ago that could be configured as either a tower or a desktop CM-something I forget the number now.
Old February 21, 2012, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
It could be because the Vapor chamber doesn't like the orientation. It might work more efficiently when positioned in the horizontal versus vertical. I've heard of some VC's actually doing worse in a Raven than a traditional case.

-ST
It's definitely possible, but I don't believe this cooler is a vapor chamber. I read that here or on another review, that this "cheaper" cooler is not a vapor chamber.

My ambient temps are pretty stable, CPU is watercooled and removes heat on the back of the case. I'll stick it in my HTPC this weekend and run some tests to see. I'll report back what I find!
Old January 11, 2014, 10:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bring back this thread from the dead because it's related, but what the hell happened to XFX GPUs? They are considered to be the worst AMD partner possible in the mining community because they cut corners in the components used, crappy fan, and so on and so forth. My XFX 7950 TDK-C tops out at 83C at 100% fan speed! And that's with a significant undervolt! The reason I picked XFX was because they were considered the best and have excellent warranty. But at this rate, my GPU is going to die sometime within 2014 and I'll need a replacement. For sure I'm not getting a XFX GPU as my next AMD card.
Old January 12, 2014, 02:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

xfx were considered the best by who?

The new revision for the R9's is much better on the performance (cooling, acoustics) but not heard anything re the longevity / reliability.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 12, 2014, 04:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah, I heard XFX went down hill long ago. Took their warranty with em.
Old January 12, 2014, 04:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The only thing I have that's XFX is their PSU Black Edition that I bought in 2010, still works flawlessly, just hate how thick the wires are though.

Old January 12, 2014, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
xfx were considered the best by who?

The new revision for the R9's is much better on the performance (cooling, acoustics) but not heard anything re the longevity / reliability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Yeah, I heard XFX went down hill long ago. Took their warranty with em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
The only thing I have that's XFX is their PSU Black Edition that I bought in 2010, still works flawlessly, just hate how thick the wires are though.
I swear they were one of the best a long time ago. I guess not... The review on the XFX 7950 done here by SKYMTL was pretty promising too.. But they never actually took the GPU apart so I guess that was why?
Old January 12, 2014, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I swear they were one of the best a long time ago.
They were, back in the day. Before they were nVidia exclusive they had life time warranties. I was jealous because I was an ATi fanboy and wanted something like that from our vendors. But now, niether team has that from XFX afaik.

But Asus, Gigabyte and MSI all have stellar and worthy offerings with decent warranties.
Old January 12, 2014, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I swear they were one of the best a long time ago. I guess not... The review on the XFX 7950 done here by SKYMTL was pretty promising too.. But they never actually took the GPU apart so I guess that was why?
Yea.. but it's a moving goal-post

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 12, 2014, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
They were, back in the day. Before they were nVidia exclusive they had life time warranties. I was jealous because I was an ATi fanboy and wanted something like that from our vendors. But now, niether team has that from XFX afaik.

But Asus, Gigabyte and MSI all have stellar and worthy offerings with decent warranties.
My XFX GPU still has dual lifetime warranty so that's the only good thing about them. That's why I was so dead set on buying one back then when prices were low. Didn't know they cut so many corners with the PCB and all the other components. Right now, I can't even run it at 1000/1500 at 1.08VDCC without having my games crash.. And temperatures are freaken sky high with fan @ 100%. Like I said, I don't forsee this card getting past 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Yea.. but it's a moving goal-post
Meaning?