Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2012, 08:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default good aftermarket cooler

im looking for a good aftermarket cooler for my reference 6870. looking for something that i can use on the next card i get later on as well. currently im looking at these two arctic coolers
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Accelero XTREME Plus II Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for NVIDIA and AMD Radeon
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING ACCEL-TT II Fluid Dynamic Accelero TWIN TURBO II VGA Cooler for NVIDIA and AMD Radeon
are these any good? and has arctic fixed their vrm and ram cooling issues? is there a better cooler for the 6870? is the extreme super overkill? i really have no idea about aftermarket gpu coolers.
Old January 31, 2012, 11:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the xtreme plus is way overkill for your card, unless you plan to purchase a high end card in the future such as an hd7000, gtx600. just get this cooler: Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Accelero TWIN TURBO Pro Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for nVIDIA and ATI alot cheaper than the accelero II, and i doubt the extra heatpipe makes a huge difference. you can also get an accelero s2, and strap one or two fans onto it
Old January 31, 2012, 02:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I have the Accelero S1 Rev 2 on my reference 6870, I got a set of Zalman RS heatsinks, I also put 2 Xigmatech CLF purple 120mm fans on it, just had to take off the little black brackets for the cooler, attached it all, and works well, highest temp I have seen using MX4 pastes and a dab of crazy glue with mx4 on each sink, highest temp loaded for hours in my raven 3 case was 65c, compared to the stock cooler which would do 68c at best.

Now I can say the twin turbo or twin turbo II probably will work quite well, however, the thermal tape Arctic uses is horrible, I recomend cleaning it real good, make sure you know where you want everything, and, a dab of thermal grease and a dot of crazy glue for each sink, works super good.

The other cooler that apprently works awesome, is VF3000, you can even leave the base plate on if you want, the accelero is lower inital cost, however, the Zalman VF3000 is as good if not better(take the little wings off the middle part so the fans get more air, reduces noise, and better temps)
Old January 31, 2012, 03:44 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

im still debating getting a 7000 series or waiting for the 8000 in a year since i get good enough performance from my 6870. i just want to hit 1ghz core on it with reasonable temps and noise. and since the pads arctic provides are still terrible im wanting to be able to leave the uni-sink on my card so can either of these coolers allow doing that or will i have to use the stuff they provide? and i heard with the zalman you have to trim the fins for the 6870.
Old January 31, 2012, 04:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonstongue View Post
Now I can say the twin turbo or twin turbo II probably will work quite well, however, the thermal tape Arctic uses is horrible, I recomend cleaning it real good, make sure you know where you want everything, and, a dab of thermal grease and a dot of crazy glue for each sink, works super good.
If you ever happen to have some more problem with thermal tap, I suggest you get some thermal glue available on NCIX and other places. Very efficient, conceived for that very purpose and you problem will be settled. Just make sure that what you want glued you really want it glued because those thermal glues are mighty strong.