Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2012, 06:01 AM
Top Prospect

Default Physx card ...

Hey guys , Alfter upgrading to win 7 from Vista I installed a gtx 550 ti and i noticed that on the box it came in it says nvidia physx ..
So I read into it a bit and nvidia (old news but new to me..) bought ageia physx and incorporated that technology into new graphics cards .
Now I also have the old ageia physx card 128 still installed and after installing windows 7 It took me a while to find working drivers and finally get the pc to recognize the card .
All that work getting it seen by the device manager made me question Is it still worth it at all ? Is it even doing anything for performance in physx games or could it actually mess things up and cause conflicts with the physx built into my new graphics card .
Im wondering if I should leave it in or should I pull it from the case ..

Thanks for your input !

Dan.
Old January 30, 2012, 06:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well under nVidia control panel you'll need to set your old ageia physx card to be the default physx card. I'm not sure with today's games that that card will be able to help much, you could run some benchmarks testing it. Also, not a lot of games have physx, so a lot of the time that card will be just running idle.
Old January 30, 2012, 06:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Check in your nVidia control panel under 3D settings -> "Set PhysX configuration".
Are you even allowed to select the old Ageia card in the menu on that screen? My guess is if you can't, it will default to CPU (and not cause conflicts).
Old January 30, 2012, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

1. I think that card is too old to be worth while even having installed.
2. PhysX is only available in a few games and most people don't bother with dedicated cards for it.
Old February 1, 2012, 04:21 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the replies ! I think ill remove it all together ,give my new graphics card some more space to breath I thought it might add a (very small) boost . Btw is 65c a hot full load temp for the gpu ? I hear the gtx 550 ti can run up to 110c but that sounds rediculous (to me) .
Thanks again !
Dan.
Old February 1, 2012, 04:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

60 c is not hot at all nothing to fear here
Old February 1, 2012, 05:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just to compare, when playing Sanctum, the PhysX card gets between 75C~80C (this game used it A LOT and I think the coding is poor). I would looooveee to get a 65C reading on even one of my GPUs.

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work