Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2012, 02:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default can I SLI with 3 monitor?

I'm wondering if there is a hack to enable SLI with 3 monitors.

What I get is:
Nvidia Surround which is SLI and not very functional (aka majority of games don't like the aspect ratio and the start button is 6 feet away from the system tray)
Or
Enable all 3 monitors but without SLI.

I want to run 3 monitors as 3 monitors but still take advantage of multiple GPUs. If this isn't possible I'll need to change my monitor setup and drop down to two.

Anybody know how to enable SLI for single monitor gaming while running 3 screens?
Old January 19, 2012, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You don't need to hack anything to run 3 monitors on SLI, it's called Nvidia surround.
Old January 19, 2012, 03:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nvidia Surround creates one virtual monitor and displays across 3 screens (imagine your start menu being 3 feet to your left and your clock 3 feet to your right and your HWC tab spanning 6 feet wide).

To make it barely tolerable you need a third party task bar, a third party screen segmentor so maximizing a browser doesn't throw it across all 3. Also the majority of games I play don't support the 48x9 aspect ratio and surround must be disable to play.

What I'm saying is Nvidia surround is a poor solution which Nvidia has put on the back burner with no attempt to solve it's massive short comings. I'd like to use 3 monitors as 3 monitors not one large virtual monitor, but still have SLI functionality.

My current profiles are:
Surround(single virtual monitor) which I use to use occasionally but have now have entirely given up on.
enable all displays mode which does what it says but does not do SLI so gaming on the middle monitor suffers.
SLI modes which I use for gaming. Disables my third monitor and runs 2 monitors with SLI enabled.

I'd love a solution that give me profile 2 and 3 combined.