Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2012, 01:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

My thoughts are that unless you love playing with your computer as much as you love playing on your computer, SLI/crossfire is NOT the way to go. Double the components is 2x the fail rate and much more hassle for someone that doesn't love tweaking their system.

So if you love modding stuff as much or more than playing video games on the hardware, I'd say get 2-3 580s and watercool them. You can even get pre-installed waterblocks from EVGA with the 580. Sweet.

The 6990 will have driver issues with some games. The 6990 kicks ass for all the games you want to play and is a monster, but it is not the king.

If you just want your games to work and never stutter and never have to selectively tweak options to get the best experience, get the 7970. The 7970 is THE KING!

The 7970 will offer the least painful setup,really kicks ass for multi displays, and is the most futureproof as you can crossfire up to four of them (I think...single gpu....).

Also an added benefit of buying a 7970 now is that they are ALL reference cards on the market atm. This means that you will have the GREATEST compatibility with after-market GPU coolers if you wish to mod the beast.

I really wish I had bought a reference 6950 when it came out instead of buying a non reference cooler because I do not think i can do a fullcover waterblock on the edition of my 6950, and I had hoped to pick a second one up for cheap (hoping it drops to under 200 can) for an uber 6950 crossfire rig which would be super fun to mod and OC (I prefer playing with my computer to gaming )
Old January 19, 2012, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Although the 7970 is the present single Card giant (barring the past hideous ATI Driver Support), look for GTX 580's "slightly used" for around $350 ea, if you pick up 2 of em (slightly more than a single 7970, you'll have a GPU solution that will blow the doors off of a single 7970, great Driver Support, as well as better prepared for Multi Monitor or Ultra High Res gameplay.

If you must go single Card then a 7970 (hows the ATI Driver Support with these new Cards?), or a single 580 (Excellent Driver Support)......

Old January 19, 2012, 06:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You're comparing driver support to last gen's card to driver support on a brand new product, that's not a fair comparison.
I'd go with a single 7970, which is what I'm doing now. I was contemplating going CF 6970, but said forget it, don't want the hassle of a dual GPU setup and so far I'm pretty happy with the performance.
Old January 20, 2012, 04:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Yep I'm looking at previous ATI "Track Record" of Driver Support......perhaps things will improve this generation...who knows.....

Quote:
I was contemplating going CF 6970, but said forget it, don't want the hassle of a dual GPU setup and so far I'm pretty happy with the performance
Hhhmm, been running multi Cards from 8800GTX - GTX 280 - GTX 480 - GTX 580 = GTX 580 Classifieds......Tri SLi as well, no hassles at all, just incredible performance (along with some power consumption n heat) ;)

Old January 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

SLI has it's share of issues, and since noise is an issue for me, nVidia has been on the losing side for a long time now. Most of the time the AMD cards are lower power consumption, less heat and therefore less noise.
Old January 20, 2012, 11:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
SLI has it's share of issues,
Please elaborate, would love to hear what these "issues" are you speak of.... ;) Actually nevermind, I'm sure it will be stuff you've "read" !

Old January 21, 2012, 12:54 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Smile

7970 because it's a single gpu (dual gpu= less crossfire single gpu= more crossfire) and it pwns all the videocards
like optic predator pwns all the cod newbs