Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2012, 04:06 PM
Rookie

Default HD 7970 Eyefinity

I recently bought the HD 7970, literally a day ago, to replace my two hd 6950's that were under performing in crossfire (I was getting, in most cases, below the performance of a single card when in crossfire), and I'm wondering how the hd 7970 runs at a resolution of 5760 x 1080 with a single card. I know I won't be able to run all games at the very max, I might have to lower AA and a few other things, but from the reviews, each reviewer has been getting very different results. I've seen very high results where the card is getting an avg. of 40 in BF3 and I've seen it get 30 in BF3. All of these people have relatively the same set up as each other but all the different FPS counts people are getting is making me jumpy.

I'm wondering what your perspective is on this, will the card run fine in a eyefinity set up or will it lag down?

If it helps with your answer, here is my system build:
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA785G-UDH3
Memory: 8GB of Corsair Memory at DDR2 1066 (I know its older but it somehow still gets a 7.2 in Windows Experience lol)
CPU: Phenom II X4 965 3.4 Ghz Black Edition, can be easily OC through Bios to 3.6-3.8 when I get a better cooler.
HDD is a seagate 7200 RPM Driver.
GPU will be a HD 7970 once I receive it.

Thanks for your time reading this and hopefully an answer!
Old January 17, 2012, 08:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zezgamer View Post
All of these people have relatively the same set up as each other but all the different FPS counts people are getting is making me jumpy.
Remember relatively the same set up isn't exactly the same. The whole computer contributes to pushing out the FPS in games so unless every test setup is exactly the same you might see larger differences in FPS(even with computers with the exact same parts you may still see a 5% difference or more). There's no doubt you can get decent FPS in eyefinity mode at least playable FPS at decent quality. Also you may want to overclock you're CPU a little.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 18, 2012, 07:55 PM
Rookie

yeah i am going to overclock the cpu, I just want to get a better cooler that I do now to keep the temps stable.
Old January 19, 2012, 06:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zezgamer View Post
I've seen very high results where the card is getting an avg. of 40 in BF3 and I've seen it get 30 in BF3. All of these people have relatively the same set up as each other but all the different FPS counts people are getting is making me jumpy.
The differences you're seeing in the reviews could be dependent on the area of the game used for the benchmarks. Some levels are more intensive then others. However, even at 30fps the game is VERY playable. My 7970 rocks BF3 at 5292x1050. I don't think you'll be disappointed.