Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2008, 08:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Sapphire HD 3870 HSF Removal Tips / Help

Hey there!

I have frequently visited the site, love to read the forums and the reviews, and now I have a question for any and all who are interested. I searched the forums and did not have any success, so I decided to fire up a new thread.

I have a Sapphire HD 3870 with the Blue Single Slot Cooler. I currently have it running at 850 / 1236 and it is both stable and performs well.

Although I like the card, I don't like the way the Bios deals with the cooling fan speeds (as well as the noise level) so I am tossing my warranty out the window and have ordered a COOLINK GFXCHILLA from NCIX. According to UK reviews and a very good review here at Hardware Canucks, it's a great cooler that performs well (nearly as well as far more expensive coolers) and is relatively quiet compared to the stock cooler that is currently on my card.

It's on order right now, so I don't have it yet, but while I am waiting, I wanted to have some tips and personal accounts from others who have either successfully or unsuccessfully removed their stock cooler from their HD 3870 or 3850 if it's the same layout. I have looked online quite a bit for some decent tutorials on the net, but they are mostly very dated and not helpful.

So...

- If you have removed the blue stock single slot cooler from your Sapphire HD 3870 specifically, please let me know what you did and how it went.

- If you have removed any cooler from you HD 3800 series card, let me know how it went and if you have any advice.

- If you have any tips on cleaning the GPU and RAM Sinks, post them here.

- If you have any links to good, up to date, tutorials that will help, post them here.

- If you have had experience with the GFXChilla (preferably) or other aftermarket cooling solutions, how did it go? Got any advice?

Guess that's enough to keep this thread busy for a while if others are as enthusiastic as I am!

I look forward to reading your responses.
Cheers!
Surfer_2099
*known on other forums as Canuck_2099, but that username is no good here so I went with a famous comic book character theme instead* :)
Old March 13, 2008, 09:20 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Not really any risk, remove the screws and it comes off easy. Wipe of gpu and ram with non lint cloth and some alcohol.
Old March 17, 2008, 07:34 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Seriously? Is it as simple as that? I don't have to worry about the stock cooler sticking to the chip or anything like that?

Is there ANYTHING that I should be ready for in case it does not go as easily as it apparently should? :?

Canuck_2099
Old March 17, 2008, 07:38 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

If youre really Really concerned about the HSF sticking to the cpu you can "twist" the hsf just slightly (and Very Slowly) in one direction while the hsf is still pressed against the GPU before slowly pulling it off. I remember one case (a long long time ago) when I pulled the HSF off my Athlon XP 1800+ and the processor popped right out with it 20 or so bent pins later it was okay again, hehe. NOTE: GPU's CAN'T COME OUT. This example won't happen to you, hehe.
Old March 17, 2008, 08:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Clean the RAM with ArtiClean and you won't have any problems with the sinks falling off.
Old March 17, 2008, 09:36 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer_2099 View Post
Seriously? Is it as simple as that? I don't have to worry about the stock cooler sticking to the chip or anything like that?

Is there ANYTHING that I should be ready for in case it does not go as easily as it apparently should? :?

Canuck_2099
Nope, its not adhesive or anything, it is as easy as it sounds. Just dont force anything and you will be fine.
Old March 18, 2008, 11:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Excellent!

I am glad to know that the "sticky Heatsink / GPU" issue should no longer be a problem. I have read in other forums about people having trouble with 7000 series nVidia cards and I was worried I would rip out the GPU unless I did things just the right way.

Thanks!

I'll keep you posted as to my results and temp improvements once I get the item in and install it.

Surfer_2099 :) (aka Canuck_2099)
Old April 15, 2008, 07:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Hello all! UPDATE TIME

First off, I got my GFXChilla yesterday and installed it today. The stock cooler came off like a breeze and cleaned up very nicely just as the above posters said it would.

I am posting my experience in the GFXChilla Review comment thread so go over there if you'd like to see what kind of insane results I have gotten with this thing!
Coolink GFXChilla Review Comment Thread

(edited to add URL)

Cheers! :)